Minority culture ghettos by design

Do you support the practice of cities using local zoning ordinance and taxes to keep practitioners of non-mainstream faiths and cultures out of business?

The Saga of Psychic Sophie (and the Regulating of Divination Services)

And an example from one of the links in that article, about a town that decided all buidlings which contain "occult arts" ( in most places, aka as practitioners of any religion that isn't Abrahamic) can only be opened in the same neighborhood as strip clubs and adult toy stores, may not be located near schools, and can only be open for limited hours each day:

BANNING: City seeks to adopt new land-use regulations

Many non-Abrahamic religions have divination rituals.  Should someone be required to pay thousands for a paper trail "proving" their faith before they are allowed to practice it?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I would have to say that some of those regulations may very well be against the law and the constitution. Frankly if they have the funds to pay the rent they should be able to set up shop anywhere they damn well please.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• This seems very discriminatory and unfair.  I wonder, too, how they define "occult".  According to Freedictionary.com, an occult is "of, relating to, or dealing with supernatural influences, agencies, or phenomena."  This defines practically every religion, so by their argument, churches should also be banned to red-light districts. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 3:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Jsbenkert, Churches may be better situated in a red light district!! If you are going to church to learn about the love of God, and to spread that love to people who are really hurting, and need contact with someone who cares, and can help them with their social services... why not put the church in the red light district???? A lot of people are there who would probably say their life is not going as planned, and they need a boost up... I seem to recall that Jesus hung out with tax collectors, prostitutes, and fisherman (who were at the low end of the social ladder of the time)... I think he did that because 1. he loved them, and 2. he knew they needed a friend.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• OTOH, a lot of people only attend church to keep up appearances, would they bother showing up if they were only allowed after 8pm on a Friday night in a neighborhood with the peep show, a strip club and DildosRUs on the same block?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• And NP to answer your question, I have no problem with any practicing faith to put a building wherever they want... Freedom of religion is just that. And, any other belief systems are not going to detract from the God I believe in, so Im not worried about their "influence". I believe in Him because He is sovereign. If other people feel that way about their belief system, then let them practice it wherever.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Sorry, I think we posted at the same time.. so to answer this question, yes you are right. Some people would not show up to attend church, but if they are going to church to keep up appearances, then I think Revelations 3:16 would fit. "But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! ". God isnt too into lukewarm believers...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• No, I believe in freedom of religion. Zoning laws can get complicated and all kinds of restrictions can be used to stop business from opening up, but I don't think it should be based on religious or spiritual beliefs.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• No, I don't. Using zoning laws to prevent non-mainstream, legal activities is bullshit.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:27 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• It wasn't a church, but there was a local private club for people into alternative sexual lifestyles shut down by zoning laws a few years ago. It was stupid because the club had never caused trouble in the neighborhood, never required a police presence, and it had been in operation for a long time. But when someone discovered it, zoning laws were the only way it was finally shut down.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2013