• In the Spotlight:

How can I get my son to stop "rocking"?

My son is going to be 3 this April (2009), and he rocks...as in rocking back and forth. All the time, everywhere. He does it on the chairs so hard they travel across the room: he also does it so much in his highchair that he has a hug callous in the back of his head. I am worried. What should I do?

I have taken him to the pediatrician and they have said that he is fine, that he has no signs of Autism, but yet he rocks and really doesn't talk. I am very worried, and could it have been something I did wrong?!

devinmendsen

Asked by devinmendsen at 12:11 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sounds like a kid having fun to me...how do you react when he rocks?
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:13 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• What happens when you tell him to stop?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• When we tell hime to stop, or even as much as move him from where he is rocking, he goes right back to doing it
    devinmendsen

Answer by devinmendsen at 7:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• That was the biggest sign of my autistic nephew
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 8:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Maybe hes bored. Instead of letting him rock, introduce him to another activity... read a book, play with toys, eat a snack? Maybe its just a comfort thing for him and he does it when he is bored. Or, you may want to get a second opinion by another doctor to rule out autism
    xburtonchickx

Answer by xburtonchickx at 8:57 PM on Feb. 16, 2009