My family room's wall are paneled with an ugly dark paneling. I would like to paint the walls ala Shabby Chic. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

Cats119

Asked by Cats119 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I just bought a house with dark paneling all in the basement & 4th bedroom. Ugh. I painted over it with primer and then a nice blue-gray. It looks like a totally different space!
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 3:02 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• It is not complicated but it would be easier for you to go to the place where you will be purchasing your paint and supplies and get them to go over it with you.
    You can also look on homedepot.com's site and punch in what you are looking to do.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:04 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• You'll need to prime the hell out of them first (like 3 coats) before you can paint them.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:05 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I love dark wood paneling :P

Looks like you got enough answers!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• two layers of primer before you paint it the color you like
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Make sure your first step is to use de-glosser on the wood. It will make the primer stick.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• There is a step by step guide on HGTV. What happens if you pull it off the wall? Would you have to put up drywall.?
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I should just use a light overcoat of off white, maybe sponge it on or some other creative application. I'm sure HD has that kinda thing covered.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Thanks everyone! I appreciate your answers. I love the look of a rich, cherry paneling but this is the type that was popular back in the '60's. I'm not sure what is under it -- probably just studs. The room is long -- it was the addition the length of the house. I want to brighten it up. Thanks again for all of your answers.
    Cats119

Comment by Cats119 (original poster) at 1:41 AM on Mar. 9, 2013