My daughter is mouthy!

I have a 7 year old daughter who thinks nothing of talking back constantly. She gets punished for it everytime, but that doesnt seem to make much of a difference. She was always a sweet girl, but lately, especially in this last school year, she has gotten "lippy" and disrespectful, even hitting her baby brother. I am against spankings, but putting her in the corner, time out and even her bedroom does not seem to work. Any ideas?

devinmendsen

Asked by devinmendsen at 12:17 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

•  I think  as parent it is not only duty to guide our child but also motivate her,,so i think you should heip her to join any after school club which would her enhance her skill

SHIKHA13

Answer by SHIKHA13 at 4:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• ^^^ What does that have to do with her being disrespectful? Putting her in a club would reward the behavior.

First, how long are you punishing her and what EXACTLY do you do?

If it were my daughter, I would first sit down and talk to her. Lay out your expectations and the punishment for backtalk and violence. Think up some good ones. Talk to her about why it is good to be respectful.

Good punishments are ones that are reserved for her backtalk. Make her wash walls, or cabinets. Make her clean up something that would be the person who she talked back to or hit's responsibility. This will help her make amends for her behavior. After EVERY instance, sit down and talk about what she did wrong and ask her what she will do better next time.

When she is being good and not rude, make a big deal out of it. The first time that she does something without being rude and you really expected her too, find a sitter
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 7:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• and take that child somewhere. For ice cream, a piece of cake at the diner, something. After that reward her in other ways. Let her stay up a bit later. Tell her "Oh my gosh, that was wonderful. You did _______ without talking back! I think you should get to stay up a half hour later!"

The combination of positive reinforcement and negative consequences will let her see what she will get positive attention for and she will likely start to change her behavior. In these situations, it is often the positive reactions that will help change the behavior, but the negatives have to be there to enforce rules.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 7:03 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My oldest is 8 and she has been mouthy for a little over a year now. I do all I can to talk to me properly and most of the time telling her to go sit on my bed until she has decided to talk properly does it. She will throw a fit about it but most of the time she will come out in a non mouthy mood. If she decides to keep it up I'll just keep sending her back. But in all honestly with trying to break it I think I'm going to have to live with it for a few years...I remember being a teen
    cherbear3317

Answer by cherbear3317 at 7:05 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Wash her mouth out with soap.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:24 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Children are naturally mouthy at that age. When children are young, like 3-4, they will do whatever you tell them to. But as they get older they develop their own self-will, they discover that they have the ability to do things themselves, that they don't always have to do what their parents tell them to do. Your daughter's "lippiness" is her testing her boundaries in the world, seeing how far she can push her limits and your buttons. This discovery is very powerful, and it's driving you crazy!

If you look at it that way, it isn't such a bad thing. It will prepare her for a world of self-discovery, of questioning things, and not accepting everything she is told. Just try to work on the discipline part :P
    Elizabeth47

Answer by Elizabeth47 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My daughter started getting mouthy after she started school. She began feeling much older than she was!!! I found that it was very important to sit down and talk to her about what respect is, who she is to respect, what ways to show it, what ways do not show it, and then explained to her very firmly the ways that she was speaking to me where disrespectful and absolutely in no way would be tolerated. We are firm beleivers that a child should respect and obey thier parents. It may seel harsh to some but here is what we do. I can tolerate a little mouthyness and usually a firm look and verbal correction works, but in the case she is just being totally out of it we put cyenne pepper on her tounge for 1 minute, then she is sent to her bed where she stays for the remaider of the day, on the bed, not allowed to talk at all for any reason. In the morning we talk to her about the attitude and how much we love her.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 11:09 AM on Feb. 17, 2009

• Sounds exactly like my 8 1/2 year old daughter. I have tried everything and she doesn't care. I have tried sitting down and talking to her but she won't listen, she only hears what she wants to hear or she will block me out.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 11:00 PM on Feb. 17, 2009