Have you ever had doubts about God and a crisis of faith? I think I am having one now. I just don't feel God in my life. Father M says it is a period of silence and it will pass. and

I cannot delete that and at the end don't know why.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Religious Debate

• It's very common and its okay. We're  meant to question, that's what makes us human. I can't say where this path will lead you but it doesn't necessarily mean it will lead away from God. For me reading about people who had faith during unbelievably difficult circumstances has changed how I think about faith. Fr. Walter Ciszek's book 'With God In Russia' was really transforming for me. Also I would try to donate more of your time to a cause or charity. I've had some of my most important faith affirming expirences when really giving of myself.  Most of all enjoy the journey.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• If you're having doubts you need to stop stressing about not feeling anything and critically examine WHY you feel that way - is it a doctrinal issue or is it simply being burned out by devoting so much time and energy to it? If it's the first, research on your own the history and realities of that doctrine, don't just get a pat answer from one source. If it's the second, start devoting your time to other things and quit pressuring yourself to be in a constant state that is not natural to be in at all times.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• In other words father "M" is telling you to ignore your own concious and stop asking questions until you "believe again" rather than explore what could be causing you to have doubts to UNDERSTAND your own mind fully and whether your "Religion" is really in line with what your beliefs are or IF and WHY they may be changing.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I had a crisis of BELIEF when my daughter died inside me
    How could He give these worthless women baby after healthy baby,and kill mine? Then my next one is autistic......

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Yes. I did. A very big one. It was after my nephew died, and I still struggle with parts of it today. I came to the conclusion that faith is a lot like love. Some days you really feel. Other days not so much (or at all). But it is still there because it is a choice you make. Sorry about yours. I know they are no fun... :(
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I think most people have doubts at some time or another. I had a severe crisis of faith when I was 23 years old. My then husband was in the hospital undergoing a diagnosis of a rare form of Lou Gehrig's disease, and I hemorrhaged after having a late miscarriage. I laid on a gurney in the emergency room, bleeding like crazy, and I told God I still believed that Jesus Christ had risen from the dead, and I still believed the world belonged to Him, but I wanted nothing more to do with him and His plans, and He could just leaveme the hell alone. It took me several years before I thawed out. I'm sure God understood. At any rate, I didn't get struck by lightning, which would have suited me fine in that moment anyway.

Some periods are more dry than others. I would encourage you not to stress about the drought, but to stay as near the source of the living water as you can.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:11 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I was always told it was me not being close to god, a quiet season, time to grow in my faith. Honestly now I realize it was just me slowly admitting to myself god was not real.i was afraid to allow myself to think of it as that because of fear and of what others would think. Other than that I think NPs advice is great.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 5:36 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I had doubts since I was a child in Sunday School and got a very unsatisfying answer to a question I posed to the associate pastor (who was acting as Sunday School teacher one week).  I fought against my doubts as a teenager and young adult and really immersed myself in my religion, until I finally admitted to myself that I was trying to believe something that was unbelievable.  I wouldn't say I had a crisis.  I'd say it was an enlightenment.  I was freed from the chains of religion and allowed to accept responsibility for myself completely.  It was liberating.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 6:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• For me, while I was going through my divorce, I had so much anger, no one around to help, and I was mentally exhausted. I wasn't angry at God but at everything - myself, my ex, his family, even strangers. I never doubted God, I even still felt His presence but I shut Him out. I didn't talk to Him or anyone else. He waited patiently till I came around. Questioning and seeking are normal. Even being angry at God is normal. Just don't give up.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• i wouldnt have called what i went through a crisis of faith. i guess i never really cared all that much. doubts about god- yes, hence the reason i am atheist today. i went through a period of uncertainty for a while when i called myself agnostic.

btw- you're posting this in debate, so if you want encouragement it may have been better suited in religion & beliefs. (just fyi)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2013