Ok I'm probably setting myself up for a lot but what's the big deal with feeding under a blanket?

You can't see the nipple is not that you can't see anything and no I don't agree with the tiny bikinis on woman for men to oogle at either. Yes I have breastfed I know it can be done discretely without a blanket with a jacket or sweater or even the t-shirt your wearing and I'm in no way out to say that anybody should use those silly nursing tents. But in our daily life we encounter a myriad of people from different ages,cultures,social backgrounds,etc... and our being able to exist in a common society means a certain number of social norms,meaning the extremes would usually be rejected as extremes. People need time to slowly warm up to new things.

PS Yes I've bottle fed under a blanket because my son is attention deficit and my daughter is a preemie who overwhelms easily

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2013 in General Parenting

• While I agree with what you are saying, I would like to point out that some babies don't mind being covered up with a blanket (mine loved it!), other babies HATE being covered up with a blanket (or anything else for that matter).

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:10 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• People need time to slowly warm up to new things.

^^ New things like what? Breastfeeding has been around a whole lot longer than we have.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I don't know. I guess I don't really understand what you're saying. I covered dd with a blanket. I guess you could hide your kid in your jacket or under your sweater, but mine weren't big enough to do that.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 5:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I breastfed under a blanket but that is because I was uncomfortable exposing myself to the world.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• JJK is right why should a norm thing that has been happening for hundreds of years all of a sudden change because people are "offended" by the VS model commercials, hell more then half of things on TV today are okay?
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• *BUT not by
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I don't eat under a blanket, you probably don't either, so why should my baby? I'll never understand why big, fat, hairy men with giant moobs are allowed to walk around topless but a mother feeding her baby is offensive.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• @ IhartU I don't know about your culture but that is frowned on in my culture too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• @LostSoul88 The models and are offensive.Our culture has a code of conduct just as Bolivia,Saudi Arabia,anywhere. I don't see it as offensive but as personal moment for family,maybe friends but the public at large needs to be talked to more gently.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• @JulieJacobKyle Speaking in terms of evolution it's not new, but breastfeeding did nearly disappear from the American culture 50-60 years ago and is still very uncommon in some racial groups. It takes time for cultural trends to move in a certain way,50 years is still well within a lifespan.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Mar. 8, 2013