WTF why even bother filing early?

We filed our taxes on Jan 23, they were accepted Jan 30, and Still NOTHING. Then we find out it will be delayed because of student tax credit (through rumor we find out, not because our tax preparer told us) so I wait the 21+1 days after Feb 14 and STILL Nothing! I call stupid HR Block "it's out of their hands" and give me a number to call the IRS but it's automated, you don't get to talk to a real person so thats absolutely zero help. I am SO pissed.

So to make it a question. Wtf Why did we even bother filing early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Money & Work

• i hate it when things like that happen
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Have you gone to "Where's My Refund", to see if they have a message for you or for an estimated date? Did you do direct deposit or a check refund?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:36 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• No returns using the student tax credit were processed prior to mid-February, regardless of when they were submitted. You are sitting in the same backlog as every other college student in the country who can't be claimed by someone else. They'll have to get through the thousands who filed early ahead of you before they get to yours, while simultaneously processing all the new ones.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:28 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• The IRS wasn't even accepting returns until January 30th.

We always wait till April 15, but we also haven't gotten a refund in years. Ideally you want to get nothing back; it keeps more in your pocket through the year. The IRS has an online tax calculator that you can use to check whether you're withholding too much or too little. You can adjust your W4 throughout the year to make sure you're at the right level.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• My cousin is having the same exact issue and she is frustrated too.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 10:03 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• It took us 4 days to get our state taxes back and 3 weeks for the federal taxes to com back... we did it thru Turbo Tax. That's messed up... you really need to contact the IRS... try their website!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• We hav tried wheres my refund It just says "processing"
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• A friend and 2 of my cousins who are using the student credit filed After me and already got theirs.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Did you file with H&R Block? If so, my friend did as well and it turns out that they messed up on a tax credit and it is taking 4-6 additional weeks to receive refunds.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:12 AM on Mar. 13, 2013

• yup I did, I saw that last week, I feel we shouldn't have to pay them their processing fee seeing as how they don' even know how to properly process.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Mar. 19, 2013