Thirsty only at bedtime?

I drink water throughout most of the day, and I'm not extraordinarily thirsty. But at night, when I go to bed, I take a bottle of water with me and I can finish it before I go to sleep because I seem so thirsty.

Now, I do know that extreme thirst can indicate diabetes, and I do have an appointment with my doc in a week - and just had bloodwork done today for my yearly check up. But I'm just wondering - is the extreme thirst that can be diabetes all the time? Should I be concerned about this as it's only at bedtime?

I don't get up during the night to use the bathroom as a result of the water I drink before bed, or no more than usual, anyway. I don't feel like I have any other symptoms of anything, either.

wendythewriter

Asked by wendythewriter at 6:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Health

• One way people have described the diabetes thirst:
    I would drink my bath water- that's how extreme it is

I know I drink at least 18 oz right before bed. I also know I dont drink enough water during the rest of the day and my body has just finally said, "Give me fluid".
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Are you eating salty foods during the day? Do you have any swelling on your body like fingers, ankles etc.? I'd try dinking more fluids during the day. Make a point of it. You may just be dehydrated by the end of the day.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:55 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I get really thirsty before bed too. Water tastes best to me at night. Let me know what you find out!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I don't eat overly salty foods, no. And no swelling of anything.

I have considered being dehydrated. But I know people always say it can be a sign of diabetes so I just kind of wondered, since there was nothing else, if I should really be concerned. But I think I'll just do like you mention, and try drinking more during the day, and mention it to my doc when I go in.

Thanks!
    wendythewriter

Comment by wendythewriter (original poster) at 7:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I also get super thirsty at bedtime. I always have though. Let us know what you find out.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• Actually drinking a cup of water before bed prevents heart disease and 2 cups when you wake up helps wake up your organs so I think your fine lol

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 7:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I wouldn't worry too much. I know they say that people overeat because they're mistaking hunger for thirst. Maybe at that time at night, you are better able to separate the two?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• The dentist told me dry mouth sometimes gets worse as you go to sleep at night because you stop swallowing as much and your mouth doesn't produce as much saliva as it does during the day. I don't know what would bring bedtime thirst on all of a sudden, though. Are you taking any new medication?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I'm not on any new meds. I didn't think about the hunger/thirst thing, either. That could very well be.

I'm not super concerned, it was just a thought that I had today to wonder. I'm definitely going to mention it to my doc, though, because I'd hate to think "oh, it's nothing" and find out later that it was something. lol
    wendythewriter

Comment by wendythewriter (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I tend to drink the most water right before bed too.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2013