"address no longer exists god has taken care of it"

There's a civil-rights organization called "Have a Gay Day" that has a fb page, and this was posted to it today:

From our inbox:

i saw the thing you posted the other day about the stickers and i pulled out my envelopes immediately. I pushed my wheelchair to the mail boxes and posted it. The next day i went to check the mail and i found the envelopes torn in half with your address circled by the postman it stated "address no longer exists god has taken care of it" 
i tried again and this time it was shredded and returned to me I cant get a ride to the post office because no one here has room for my chair
Amanda D.

-I just want to say for someone to tamper with your mail is a crime. I sent Amanda a message back to find out more info and I'm going to cover the cost to get her stickers to her. People are so messed up some days and I won't stand for it. So I'll keep you up to date with this but wanted to share.- Have A Gay Day

Obviously, this is simply a facebook post and there's no confirmation yet of the veracity of the e-mail they received.  Presuming for the sake of discussion that the person who sent the message has no reason to lie, what should the consequences for the postal worker be?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• from wisegeek:
    Under most state statutes, mail tampering is a misdemeanor and is punishable by a term of imprisonment of up to a year or two.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I just read that on the gay day site. I hope he gets in deep trouble, how unacceptable
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• It's a crime to tamper with the mail. Federal offense no less. Whatever those charges entail that's what should happen, along with being fired.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• There is actually a law covering that it it carries a jail sentence
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• It should be a hate crime!!!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• wow...if this is true that is awful! i would totally report the postperson for that!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• "It should be a hate crime ...!!! Answer by pinkdragon36 She didn't do anything except say "address no longer exists god has taken care of it" . All she did was tamper with the mail. Hate crime is generally used to describe bias-motivated violence: "assault, injury, and murder on the basis of certain personal characteristics: different appearance, different color, different nationality, different language, different religion. It can't even be classified as hate speech or hate mail.

There were no threats, not even any potentially intimidating language. But she gets a vote as being the biggest asshat of the year.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:42 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Wow really ? He should lose his job.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2013