Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rental agreement problems

I am currently renting and the house is growing mold and the windows are leaking which cause moister to get in. I want out of my lease! They won't fix the mold issue. They say they will be never check up on it or avoid talking to me about it. I just recently got home from the hospital and my son has a respiratory problem now. He has an allergic reaction to something in our home which causes his breathing to act up. He is 2 years old and the doctor says the mold is causing the problem. How can I get out of my lease and move to a safer environment so that my son won't suffer with a breathing issue the rest of his life? The only clause I see in my agreement is that the owner will maintain and keep a safe property and that isn't happening. What should I do? Where should I start? Should I find a lawyer or just talk to owners directly.

I have bought mold cleaners but the problem is the mold is growing behind shower wall and the is connected to my son room.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Home & Garden

Answers (6)
  • Many times lawyers give a free consultation. I'd call and find out the laws of your state. You can also look up Tenant Landlord Act for your state as well to see what their legal responsibilities are. Sometimes that shows what you can do if they don't provide a safe environment.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:23 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

  • I would probably try to address it with them, saying you would like out of your lease. They may let you just to avoid a hassle. I also think pp ^ has a good idea about a free consult. You may be able to then hire that laywer for a small fee to draft a letter for you to them.

    I hope your ds feels better soon and you can get him somewhere he can breathe easy!

    Answer by tessiedawg at 10:37 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

  • call 211 there is a government agency the oversees the safety of the renters in your city. They are are the rental safety inspection division or something similar in the name. Contact them and if you can take pictures and scrape some mold. and take them in with you. They should come out and inspect the rental and usually you will have no problem breaking your lease. The other option is to have a lawyer contact them with a letter of intention. Usually they will be more than happy to drop the lease and pay you the lawyers fee to avoid court.

    Answer by Dardenella at 11:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

  • Get something in writing from your doctor stating that mold is causing your son's breathing trouble. Take that documentation to the health department. They should be able to direct you further. A neighbor in my condo complex just went through something similar, and after checking the property, the health department shut it down and made the owners clean it up.

    Answer by Ballad at 11:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

  • Call code enforcement.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:26 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

  • Not sure what state you are in but there should be a governmental agency in your area that can advise re renter's rights.

    Answer by tasches at 5:48 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.