How to accept aging?

I've been noticing more and more, the fine lines (most would call wrinkles), the gray hair blending in with my natural color.
The way my walking, sitting, squatting etc. have slowed down. (Squatting, just saying that makes me laugh, lol)
I was noticing today that my neck is getting wrinkles!
Grant it, I am over 50, but to ACTUALLY see it and you know your mind isn't as old as your body is a huge reality check!
I tell myself that gray hair is wisdom and wrinkles are character. But I've decided I don't care to be so full of character and have the wisdom I have, lol
For those of you who are over 50, are you having a personal crisis over the changes you're seeing or are you truly able to accept the changes and embrace them? If you're able to embrace them, then what is your secret?

PMSMom10

Asked by PMSMom10 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• I'm with ya. I'm noticing the texture of my skin is changing as well as my hair (what's left of it). I can't reach spots I used to be able to reach! I've had oily skin all my life now it's dry. Trying to put oil or lotion on my back is a challenge. I look in the mirror and no longer see "me", I see my grandmother. Menopause killed my libido. I stopped dating. I'm not adjusting well.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:06 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• My answer for you is you are always 25 on the Internet.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I'm not there yet- I will be 45 in May...and I'm not accepting getting older very well. Never have. All I can say is that I work out more now than I have my whole life, and hopefully, that will help as the years go on. I also color my hair-but I've had grey since I was 20
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:53 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I'm 51 & aging really doesn't bother me. I'm happy to be a 'beautiful' 51...if only in my husband's eyes. My hair is blonde, so although I have grays in there, they blend in fairly well so far.I have a few fine lines around my eyes, none of this really bothers me. I'm in pre-menopause, things aren't always on schedule, so I have to be prepared.

Now, my boys all being adults, that's a little harder, Seeing young moms getting ready for back to school, I miss those days. Sometimes when we sit at the table & it's just the two of us, I miss the days when all 3 boys were sitting there with us, eating food by the shovelful and being noisy.

I have to admit though, my hubby & I are enjoying this new phase in our lives. Time for just the two of us, and romance. So we're both a little grayer, and have a few lines. We're still holding hands as we walk on the beach, we still get asked if we're newlyweds & that makes makes me feel young.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• i would NEVER have guessed you were over 50...its all in how you act and you act young!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:57 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I've had grays since 20, and while I don't love them, they're there. I don't stress. I'm getting some wrinkles, my boobs sag, etc. But I take care of myself, because I know that it won't get easier as I get older. I'm only 33, but 30 didn't bother me any, and I have no weird things about getting older. I'm actually in the best shape of my life, and I'm doing what I can to stay as healthy as possible. I think that knowing that, and the fact that some things are out of my control (like aging), helps me stay even. I also have good communication with my husband regarding advance directives and health care proxy stuff, so I know that end is covered. I worry about pain as I age, which is part of why I try to take care of myself now. I wish I'd started when I was younger (I was almost 300 lbs when I turned 30), but I can't change the past- I can only make my future as bright as possible.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:58 PM on Mar. 8, 2013

• I'm turning 50 in August. I do color my hair, but I've colored my hair since I was 16... has more to do with not liking my natural color than anything else. (Haven't gotten brave enough to do the real red I love, though!)

I guess what helps me accept aging is realizing that it's better than the alternative!

And I'm looking forward to menopause.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:37 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• I even changed my profile picture from me to an owl because I won't take pictures of myself anymore!

• silver, I keep fit and eat right and stay active at 63 almost 64. I go to the gym everyday and lift weights and exercise for an hour everyday and it makes me look fit but the wrinkling and sagging skin keeps reminding me that I am old, but I keep trying because those endorphins I release make me feel young at least on the inside!

Answer by older at 8:32 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• It was an adjustment for me too and depressing. I color my hair, get my nails done and try to eat healthy. I think the turning point for me is when the grandkids came along. They keep me young and lift my spirits. I think it is all in your outlook. 60 is fast approaching but I will keep enjoying life to the fullest!

DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2013