• In the Spotlight:

Nipple Question

My son is 17 days old. Breastfeeding was unsuccessful..well my milk is slowly drying up..i'm still leakin ga little bit..but my nipples are dry cracked and peeling? it's been 3 years since i've had a baby. is this normal? or should i be calling my doctor? there's no bleeding or smell. they just itch and are dry and stuff!

AustinsMommy306

Asked by AustinsMommy306 at 12:26 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its pretty normal. you can by lansinoh cream to put on them if you want, it just helps with the dryness.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Lansinoh can help. And if you want to try again, it's not too late to breastfeed. (Never too late till your breasts are surgically removed.)

Stop by the breastfeeding moms group...we have helped a LOT of moms and can help you too if you'd like.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:30 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You can actually express some of the milk and try rubbing it into the nipples, it's a natural moisturizer. If you are washing your nipples with soap (in the shower) - STOP! It removes natural body oils that keep your nipples moisturized.

And - like a PP said, if you're interested in having someone help you keep trying you can check out www.kellymom.com and use their search engine to find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. Many moms who are convinced they "can't" breastfeed are actually just in need of some much deserved support and wisdom from another Mama whose had experience.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 2:17 AM on Feb. 16, 2009