When a 12 year old continuously pees, should he clean it up?

I have a 12 year old step son who pees every night either in his bed or in a chair. The dr says the main issue is poor diet. Being the step mom, I have no say in his poor eating habits. So we just give him pull-ups at night. Last night he didn't put one on & fell asleep in the chair in the living room. I think if he can't be bothered to put on a pull-up then he needs to take responsibility & clean up the mess. Am I being unreasonable here?

ABeaverhausen

Asked by ABeaverhausen at 9:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• No you are not being unreasonable, IMO. I would be potty training him again, as in, remining him to go to the bathroom. And to put on his diaper. He want to act like a baby, treat him like a baby. Except for the cleaning up. He is old enough to wash his own sheets.

Answer by louise2 at 10:02 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• I don't understand the correlation between bad diet and bladder control....
    And yeah,he should clean up the mess himself

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• He should be cleaning up, I'd be damned if I would be.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:06 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• I didn't understand the correlation at first either. Apparently he's so compacted that it pushes in his bladder. So he takes miralax but it doesn't seem to help.
    ABeaverhausen

Comment by ABeaverhausen (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Yes. Making him clean it up is making him responsible for this condition. If he knows this is a possibility he he old enough to be responsible for putting on the right kind of garment. In the long run, if he gets sick of cleaning it up he can also be responsible for changing his eating habits - which hopefully rectifies the problem for him.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:13 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• If he is backed up that bad. give him something stronger. Castro oil. That will clean him out right quick.

Answer by louise2 at 10:16 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• He is for sure old enough. I had bladder and kidney issues when I was younger and wet the bed until I was about that age, but I was responsible for cleaning up. I had to change my sheets, wash them and wash my pajamas too. And I wouldn't be letting him sleep on the chair either.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 10:39 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• damn! what is he eating??

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Well I agree he should clean it up himself at 12 but I disagree that as his stepmom you have no say in his diet or eating habits. As long as he is at your house he should eat what you serve.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• If he is battling encopresis and having problems with constipation then perhaps it's time to find something that works better than Mirilax. I have read that it can take a long time for the colon to get back to a normal shape / size. I hope things improve soon.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2013