Do you believe in disciplining your children?

Do you believe in timeouts or spanking your child (What I mean by that is not abusing/beating your kids, I'm talking about spanking)

-read an article about this online http://m.kidshealth.org/parent/positive/talk/discipline.html

MommyRinda

Asked by MommyRinda at 12:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2013 in General Parenting

• Yes. I have 5 and different methods have worked for each of mine. Discipline should be based on what works for the child. I have used time outs, grounding and spanking all with success. My 2nd has needed little other than positive praise when he was doing well and a raised eyebrow when he was misbehaving, my 3rd was much more trying!

Answer by missanc at 12:08 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• No I had reasons and used other methods
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Discipline, yes. Spanking, no.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Spanks not so much. Time outs do nothing for my girl, she loves them.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Due to my son's autism,most of his outburst were/are from his sensory issues. Once we figured out what was setting him off,we could avoid those things. We did/do alot of distraction to calm him. When he gets revved up,we bring it down with calm voices and blank faces. He'll calm down almost instantly. it's like he's looking for a fight,and we don't give it to him, KWIM? Explaining things is out of the question because he doesn't understand emotions,and feelings,and rational thought. He lives in a literal world.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Yes to discipline, no to spanking.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• mine has autism
    took a long time for her to except nice touch, so spanking will not work for me and her
    can not see using touch in a negative way

i would like that option but, remember the times when i was thrilled she would allow me to touch her hand at bedtime,remembering those days still bring me tears

she gets plenty of count downs, " do not let me get to three", and i threaten to take something away, we leave the place she is at, or she will not have a play date etc- this usually works

time outs never worked for us, as she is super hyper, and making her stay in time out would be escalating the bad behavoir by increasing the sensory overload my holding her in place would do
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• also my daughter has her tactile sensory issues, and pain sensory is backward at many times
    light touch hurts her and hard touch feels good
    she can fall on the sidewalk head first and will not notice (in fact gets mad if someone asks her if she is ok) but someone accidentally barely touches her when she does not see it coming she will say ouch that hurts,
    spanking would just not work, and would confuse her senses

if i did not have this situation, i may have been a spanker? do not know, i do not have this option
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Discipline of course, and punishment as needed. My oldest could never be spanked, it just escalated the situation majorly. He's as big as I am now at 11, way too old to be getting the punishment I'd give a toddler with a quick swat on the butt. I have used spanking in the past with both of my kids and I just don't think its an effective form of parenting. I would say I used it in the past because that's how I was raised, my DH was raised, etc. It was just something I thought that parents did.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• If you don't discipline your kids, they'll be out of control and make everyone around them miserable. That's not to say just punishing bad behavior; the greatest part of discipline is modeling the behavior you want and praising it when you get it.

I used time-outs when my daughter is defiant and needs to calm down and rethink her attitude or actions; it works.

I have spanked her only a very few times, mostly when she did something dangerous like running away from me outside the house, since I'm blind and can't chase her. I had to get her attention and let her know that just couldn't happen, ever; I followed it up with not allowing her outside for a short time afterward. If you spank for minor things, you lose an effective tool for major ones.

I prefer the most natural consequences possible--you don't obey outside and we go in the house, you get rude and lose my attention till you can be polite.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2013