How can I get more clients for my photography business?

Currently I have officially had my own photography business for about a year. It does OK. Right now I have a .com website (www.annamariephotos.com), pay for advertisement on Facebook, post every day on Craigslist.com, and I am now at a loss of where else to turn to gain new clientele. What would you suggest?

If it helps, I am in San Diego, CA.

USNavyWife0330

Asked by USNavyWife0330 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2013 in Money & Work

• Sign up for modeling sites, such as modelmayhem.com or model.com, to list yourself as a vendor and network. Sign up for wedding and event planning sites, such as theknot.com and weddingwire.com Introduce yourself to acting casting call sites for actors who may need professional photos. Work with casting agencies so that they can refer clients to you. Volunteer some services to charities who will list you on their websites, programs, etc. Goodwill news also brings in leads. Perhaps a newspaper may be interested in a story about your philanthropy. Sponsor a contest for free wedding services for a deserving couple, military couples, etc. People are interested in stories like these. Put ads in smaller local papers, like the Patch, Examiner.com, or Military Times or Military.com. I recommend a monthly contest for cutest baby, holiday themes etc for one free professional shot.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Put brochures/business cards at any shop that will let you especially ones that could be wedding related like a bakery, dress shop and /or baby related like a toy store, children's clothing store, or consignment shop. You also might want to do a mailing that offers a discount of some sort. Target specific neighborhoods with the mailing. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 12:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Are there trade magazines or other periodicals for the local area you could advertise in? In our small community small businesses go to the Tourist Board and to the local BEACH magazine and local newspapers. Maybe see if there is a small business convention coming up or check with the Small Business Association in your area. I'd call the Chamber of Commerce and get ideas. You can get free advertising sometimes just by asking questions. Maybe put your card at the local colleges and universities.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Does your area have Valpack coupons that are sent out via mail? See how much they'd charge for adverts

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Your name suggest you are military affiliated. Does the Navy have newsletters you could advertise in? Maybe word of mouth would help via Navy wives.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Does your child go to public or private school? My sil has a photography business and she put in a bid to do the school pics for her son's private school - and got it!

Answer by missanc at 12:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Offer some deals on your facebook and website - they don't have to be really outstanding, but if people think they're getting a deal, they're more willing to do something like this. Maybe you could have some kind of drawing, too - post something like anyone who gets a photo shoot and buys X photos from you gets entered to win a free _______. Again, doesn't have to be a big thing, it could be a free 8x10 or something.

Ask people to spread the word. Ask previous clients to put testimonials on Facebook. Post on bulletin boards at the grocery store, laundry mat, etc., if they have them.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• some excellent ideas here i like what hellokittykat said above
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Facebook, craigslist, blogging, perhaps run an ad in your local newspaper or news publication. Ask people to be models for you; to build your port. Give them free service in exchange for advertising for you. Send your business cards to every business and person you know!
    XOXOArmyWife

Answer by XOXOArmyWife at 4:13 PM on Mar. 15, 2013

• As a professional I would avoid craigslist as there are too many odd balls out there. It's a hard market hun. Everyone and their mother is now a photographer. I have been doing it for 6 years and over the last two years I have seen the increase. Hang in there and make sure you have a proper portfolio and your pictures should speak for you! If you would like to talk I am always available :)
    Jessplus31979

Answer by Jessplus31979 at 7:19 AM on Apr. 7, 2013