Have you ever had a cashier assume you were on foodstamps? Let's not make this a bashing question

I stole this from Groups

I remember once when my son was a baby,we went to Walmart (lol). We loaded up the belt,and when we walked up to the cashier stand,she let out a giant sigh and said "You have to separate your stuff" I was dumbfounded. I had no clue what she was saying. She kept moving our stuff around on the belt as she rang us up. We had gotten a rotiserrie chicken. She let out another big sigh and said "you can't get this" I asked her what she was talking about and she told me cooked food wasn't allowed on foodstamps. Then it hit me. She assumed we were using foodstamps for our groceries.
I get it. Alot of welfare recipients shop there,but why would you instantly assume? So everyone with a baby is on welfare? She made an ass out of herself. The people behind us were staring.
This was before the cards were issued

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. It was long before I had any kids, but when yo have a disability, ots of things are assumed about you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• No, it has never happened to me and when I'm helping a customer, I don't make assumptions on their method of payment.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Not fs, but WIC. We didn't qualify for it, but they saw a baby and immediately started trying to sort out "you can't get this kind of bread you need xyz". I had one cashier lecture me that I should go get WIC instead of paying for formula myself, and when I told her we couldn't, then she gave me this look like I was bragging. Couldn't win with that one.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Oh, how sad! Yes I've had it assumed before. But I live in the ghetto of the ghetto.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• No, that hasn't ever happened to me before. I hope you chewed her a new ass for being so rude to you, that was really obnoxious of her to behave that way.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 2:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• No, I haven't.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• I have not
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• No, that hasn't happened to me.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• In our state, the cards are neon orange...and so are my bank's debit cards. I have had multiple cashiers ask me if that was "cash or food benefits" LOL. Nope. My checking account, actually. LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Where I work, it's against stores policy to ask how a customer is paying. If the customer uses their EBT card and she has things that EBT doesn't cover, it'll show a balance due when I push total. At that time the customer finds an alternate form of paying for the remainder of the balance.
    I'm surprised all stores don't do this.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2013