Have you ever had a store employee think you stole something?

When i was 17 or so,I went to the pharmacy with my grandma. It took awhile,so I was wandering around looking at the merchandise. I noticed this employee kept following me around. It kinda freaked me out. As we were leaving,I feel someone roughly grab my arm,and spin me around. It was a store detective. He demands that i give him what I took,or he's calling the police. I don't know where he thought I stashed something. I was wearing shorts with no pockets,and was only carrying my wallet in my hand. My grandma started bitching this guy out,telling him to leave me alone. The pharmacist comes running over,saying it was all a mistake,the lady in question was a pregnant black lady,not me. Boy,that detective was a moron. I'm white,and was skinny and definitely not pregnant! He apologized up and down. My grandma told the pharmacist that he just lost her business,and we left.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Lol no but one time we were at Walmart or Target or somewhere and I was going to buy my son a small toy and let him hold it (he was sitting in the cart) until we got to the register. As we were checking out I started to unload the basket first, got about 3 items onto the belt when an older lady in line behind us blurts out loudly "DON'T FORGET TO PAY FOR THAT TOY YOUR CHILD IS HOLDING" lol. Yeah, because I want to steal a toy so I'm going to use my small child holding it in plain sight to do it! Even other people in line laughed at her.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Yes but it's a long funny story when we were trying to find a b-day gift for my mom at target.

Me, my DH, and all three kids and couldn't find anything. I kept going back to jewelry hoping to find something. My DH finally said to me " take your time, but we've been here so long undercover security is following us". Sure enough I turn around and there was a grown man checking out evening purses behind me.

My DH said "keep looking I'll take him over to electronics.". My DH headed for electronics and the man followed him.

After a long time I settled on a sad pair of slippers. My son who was only four at the time looked at my moms gift and said
    "After all that, this is what it came down to."
    The best part of the gift was telling my mom the story behind her b-day slippers.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• That would be considered a lawsuit if someone accused me of shoplifting! I've obviously never been accused, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Now EVERYONE is sue happy, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Not yet but I remember years ago it happened to one of my brothers. The Manager said he thought he had something cause he had his hands in his pocket.
    My mother told the Manager it was ok and told my brother to keep his hands out his pockets in the store.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• I don't know, it's possible. I have never been stopped.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• No, but I had a cashier thinkI was *going* to steal something, I guess. It was not long after I had a baby, and I was still trying to get the hang of dealing with a service dog, a baby in a carrier, a diaper bag, a purse, and groceries. So I forgot I'd tucked something uder my arm and not put it up on the counter at the checkout line. The guy asked if I was going to pay for whatever it was, I don't recall, and I apologized and put the item with my others. I was surprised he would think I had other plans, right in plain sight.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• What am embarrassing thing to happen. When I was a kid, there was a local store where the owner or clerk would follow any kids around. I understood they were worried about theft, but I was embarrassed anyway.

Answer by Bmat at 2:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Around Christmas time, I stopped at our local salvage grocery store... (ya know the one that always has expired products). I picked up a few items and then naturally changed my mind and set the items down. A girl came up to me as I was leaving and asked if I had changed my mind... she said, "So, you don't want the deodorant?" I told her I didn't and that I had set it down. She asked me to show her where.... I was thinking she was joking around... I mean, I actually worked there before and everyone, but her, knows who I am. I cracked up. It's a salvage grocery store... Am I really going to steal expired deodorant? But, then she told me they recently installed cameras because they are getting ripped off right and left...... I guess I can understand, but was just taken aback.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• when i was 18/19 i was with my boyfriend at Target or Kmart
    and had someone following us
    he noticed, i did not until he told me
    so we decided to act suspicious and take the store employee on a trip around the store
    after 15 minutes or so of acting silly, we grabbed our item we came for, checked - payed for it
    and laughed all the way to the car

we were not stopped, just followed around
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2013