18, HS, Bi-polar, disrespectful, BF's son!

BF & I moved in together last Aug his ex dropped his 18 yr son off and ran off. He's been diagnosed as bi-polar BF won't get him on med's cuz he don't believe it. His mood swings match my own menopausal ones. BF is 57 I'm 45 my 18 yr old is also living with us and he's sick of the disrespectful, no manners, gross pig. BF says he just wants to get him through HS. Well that didn't turn out so well! He failed HS and was moved into "adult ed type classes" goes at his own pass, which would be perfect if he went. He skipped school 3 of the 4 days he was supposed to go (Monday was a snow day) we live about 4 blocks from school! I say he should be grounded for 1 week per skipped day. He got NOTHING for skipping. BF just told him don't let it happen again. My son left for a friends house for 2 weeks just to get away from him. We went to the Lake House for a romantic weekend. I mopped the floor Thursday before we left on Friday. We got home Sunday afternoon and there were dirty sticky footprints across my kitchen floor (kitchen is huge takes 2 hours to sweep and properly mop this floor). I was miffed! I said who dirtied my floor. He was supposed to make his son remop it. He didn't the next day I was taking care of something I looked at the wall and there was squished citrus on it! (now I know how the floor got sticky) I showed it to BF he said I'll take care of it... nothing happened, later found another spot below the window, and another by fridge the floor was sticky! I asked his son to mop it got the bucket put cleaner in and he said "why I cleaned and mopped right before you guys got home!" then got into my face and said "how do you know YOU didn't do it!" I said I hadn't even stepped off the mud carpet YET! (this was before I even found the squished citrus. Needless to say BF mopped, cleaned citrus mess up. I've tried everything to help him abide by the rules even going so far as to buy him a whole pizza for cleaning his room (which lasted not even a day). I have a bathroom upstairs that is female friendly (keep toilet seat down) He kept leaving it up. So I got ticked and duct taped it down. BF got mad at me I got mad period. So his son went out and bought a hose and started PEEING out the window. He never holds open doors, burps aloud, blows his nose when your eatting, makes huge mess's and won't clean up. Takes dishes and food upstairs to his room or in basement to media room and hides the dishes! I'm at my wits end esp when my children say "YOU never would have let us get away with that" What can I do BF won't make him mind. He just cleans up after him and when I say anything he will ask me "why do you make such a big deal out of it. It is a big deal when I was working 12 hr shifts 5 days a week we live in a 2 story house 4 br, 2 bath huge kitchen and wooden floors through out... it's a lot to clean. I don't need to clean up after someone who always says... I'm 18 get off my back! MY house my rules but BF doesn't see this! And please don't say kick him out... I don't have authority to do so or his stinky, piggy butt would be on the curb post hast.

Metabea

Asked by Metabea at 4:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• So he was at work last night usually doesn't get home till around 11 (Sat night works at the local pizza place) I heard his girl friend (been told she's not his girlfriend just a friend) I said so she's your fuck buddy? Well rules are no girlfriends spend the night. Get up this morning and her shoes and car are here. She spent the night. None of them are up yet. Since she's not his girlfriend just a girl friend (I'm not stupid she's his fuck buddy) should she be allowed to spend the night? He seems nonchalant about this subject. It's not ok for my son but his can have a girl over. I don't want to start a fight so early in the morning but this is NOT ok with me. 18 or not!
    Metabea

Comment by Metabea (original poster) at 9:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I'd tell them both- my way or the highway.
    The kid is disrespectful, but the boyfriend allowing him to be that way is a second slap in the face!
    If I were you I'd stop cleaning. Everyone fend for themselves. Won't take your boyfriend too long to start making his kid pitch in when all the work is left to him.
    Son should also be paying rent. That's how things work in the real world. You're not in school, you don't live here for free, you get a job and pay bills.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:04 AM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Well time to start saving to get out. Right?

Answer by louise2 at 7:59 AM on Mar. 10, 2013

• We dated a year before we decided to move in together. At the time his son was only coming on the weekends. We had him every other and we took both boys to craigs crusiers, movies etc. At the time he was sharing a house with a friend and I was in my own apartment and we decided to get the house here because his son still needed to finish his Senior year. He grew up with $$$ and now that he doesn't have that coming in he doesn't understand my rules. I know every parents have different rules but my #1 rule is respect, manners trails very closely behind that. BF just thinks if he cleans up the messes it will smooth over everything. Not in my book. I would have had my tax $ but just before that my truck was totaled due to some stupid woman who pulled out in front of me and I ended up hitting a tree. So PL & PD didn't pay anything. So I had to take my taxes to buy a new car. Cuz I was planning on using that to get out.
    Metabea

Comment by Metabea (original poster) at 9:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• I would definitely start saving your money. Shit, the hotels here charge $125 a week for a room and let you pay by the week. It might help you save a little money and keep working while you have a roof over your head without the commitment of a lease. IMO, he is not going to all the sudden start making changes in the way he handles his son if he sees you sitting around and taking it. Maybe just moving out will be enough to show him you're serious. Plus, it will leave him to take care of this mess himself.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• He's obviously not going back to school so instead of fighting with (or about ) him all the time, pick your battles. Dad needs to handle it. It's Dad's house so it's the boy's home that you have moved into and invaded in his opinion. He probably just wants it to be his and dad's bachelor pad and trying to get rid of you and your sons. A lot of teens test and try to sabotage a parents' relationship. Remember that mom left him. That has to hurt. He's probably taking it out on you. He can still be a tax dependent for Dad so Dad will get his $20 back. The boy shouldn't be without a dime in his pocket. Help build his self esteem and he might cut you some slack. He needs to be guided not attacked. You cannot change him but you can change how you react to his shananigans. He's not going anywhere so back up and regroup. Find out what he likes and guide him to a vocational school. Maybe he'll do better learning a trade

Answer by admckenzie at 7:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Did you meet and spend some time with your bf's son before you decided to move in with him?
    Before his Mom dropped him off, had you ever met him?
    It sounds like noone really knows each other well enough to be able to live together.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• You do have the authority to leave though. I would not stay with some one like that.

Answer by louise2 at 5:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Personally, I'd start saving your money and get a place. Let the two of them live together and enable each other.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• When I asked him if he asked him last night about cleaning up the citrus off the walls he says "Oh I forgot" When his son got in my face as asked me if I was sure I didn't do it. I almost throat punched him... called BF and said I"m done!! I can't deal with this anymore! But true is I have no where to go! I let my apt go when we moved in together last August have no $$ for a deposit and first months rent to get a place of my own. But he's been kissing butt this last week. Son works part time at local pizza place but never has $$ and BF has to take his $$ to help him out. He paid him 20 buck for lunch but he skipped the 4 days and the other was snow day and he had the balls to come up and say... so are you still going to keep giving me 20 bucks for lunch I was wondering if I could get next weeks today (sat) I looked at BF and said he should still have the 20 bucks from this week so don't give him another 20.. He did!!
    Metabea

Comment by Metabea (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2013