How do you wash gasoline soaked clothes?

My SO was working on a pressurized fuel line and got sprayed pretty bad. I threw away the socks because they were soaked and easily replaceable- but his shirt, pants and hoodie are $$$. Is it safe to put them in the washer and dryer?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2013 in Home & Garden

• EEK! I would NOT use my house washer. You may never get the smell/oil out. How about a Laundromat & run them through a few times with vinegar & soap.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Whatever you do, DO NOT wash them in your washer! Everything else you wash will smell like gas!
    I doubt that the smell will come out.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• I agree--don't get those clothes anywhere near your washer! I lived in an apartment once where the neighbor washed clothes worn by oil field workers, and not only did the machine always smell like oil, there was this nasty gunk in the tub that ruined a whole load of my stuff because I didn't know it was there. I doubt if you'll ever get the smell out of the clothes, to tell the truth.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• I would start by taking them outside and using the garden house to soak them thoroughly. Then I'd take them to a laundromat to wash them, because as others have mentioned, the smell may not come out. After washing, sniff them before you put them in the dryer. Don't put them in the dryer if they still smell like gas. I would try washing them 3-4 times before I'd give up on them, but if the smell doesn't come out after about 4 washes, I don't think it will.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• :( Well I don't want to take them to a laundromat and have other people's laundry smell like gas! Especially if they can't afford a washer and dryer, they won't be able to afford new clothes if I ruin them. I will hose them off and dry in the sun a few times.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• I think you will be fine if you wash them outside a few times. It may take a while, but just keep wetting them down and letting them air dry. Eventually they might be tame enough to try washing them in the machine.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Soak them for a good while. Hand rins and soak again. Then wash in the mashine.

Answer by louise2 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• louise is right. My hubby did this before as well. Soak them, rinse, soak again, then wash in the mashine.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• PUT THEM in the bathtub in luke warm water let them sit overnight then rinse with cold. Put them in the washer alone, and wash with the extra rinse cylce, if they still have any smell repeat, them put them in the dryer on low heat or air dry.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 7:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• I've always just rinsed them out and hand washed them in the tub a couple times before putting them through the wash. When the smell is gone, it will be past the point of ruining your washer.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:14 PM on Mar. 9, 2013