Is mucous in the throat after tonsillectomy normal? What can I do about it?

My five year old had a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy on Thursday the 12th. Today, the 15th, she has had mucous in her throat. It got really uncomfortable for her when it seemed to be really stuck in there. I forced her to drink some apple juice, which seemed to resolve it. She had no dairy today, but did have dairy on Thursday and Friday. This was not mentioned to me as something to expect, and all I really found online is to increase her fluids to help her swallow and keep her throat clear. Anyone else experience this?

Hiiaka

Asked by Hiiaka at 1:10 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Health

• What does it look like? Like white back there? This could be the post operative patches that form and eventually fall off. It's like a scab in the mouth. I wouldn't touch them at all but rather just let them fall of naturally like you would any other scab... If that's what it is :) If it's actual mucous, I'd call the doctor's office. They may want to do an antibiotic in case of getting a bug afterward?

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 7:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2009