If you have a gas furnace do you have it serviced every year?

What does the servicing include exactly?

silverthreads

Asked by silverthreads at 7:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Yes, he cleans the burners, the fan, the A coil, even though thats for the a/c, and he cleans the return. We pay a friend of ours, that's an HVAC guy about 150.00 to do the furnace, and the a/c once a year.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• No. We change our filters with 90 day ones about every other month, and my husband can inspect and clean our furnace and A/C.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• I pay $77 for getting my heat and air checked once a year, it is worth it, because if anything is needed for the rest of the year the waive the service call, ours includes free hose replacement etc. We change our filter every month, during the winter, and when they come they put a new one in as well, a good grade HEPA filter.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 7:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• We have it done every autumn. The guy who comes cleans it, checks for wear and tear, and tests for leaks and CO buildup.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• My husband does all that, but I'm not sure exactly what all it includes.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Two of my homes had gas furnaces. One was a rental and the landlord took care of it himself. The other home, I owned. I don't remember having anyone other than my husband and I take care of it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• No, my DH changes the filter at least once a year.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• I never did anything with mine since I moved into my condo in 2007--didn't know I was supposed to--and I paid dearly because my furnace blew up last winter. It might have gone anyway, but not changing the filter didn't lengthen its life any.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:18 AM on Mar. 10, 2013

• My DH cleans it out and checks everything and we change the filter once a month in the winter while using it and also put in a new one just before furnace season starts in the fall. DH has a friend who is certified in HVAC and owns his own business and he is always swamped with work in the fall from people calling for a clean and check.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:23 AM on Mar. 10, 2013