Intestinal/abdominal pain? adult content

I woke up about 3 am this morning with pains in my abdomen, then had diarrhea, and vomited. After that I was up about 3 more times with diarrhea until about 5am. Then slept til 9am, got up, it started all over, and only vomited once, and not much. The diarrhea stopped at about 10am, but I have had horrible pain in my abdoman, and it feels like I need to go to the bathroom, but I can't. It makes me double over.

I don't like to google my symptoms, it seems there would be a lot of illnesses that will share these symptoms.... I've had my appendix out back in 1988, so I know it's not that. I just thought I would ask here to see if anyone's had anything similar, and if I should see a Dr, or it's just a virus and ride it out.... Thanks for reading.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2013 in Health

• Sounds like you have the Norovirus. It's going around big time here in Oregon. It'll take about 3-5 days to get your strength back.
    The vomiting and diareah will stop, then you'll spend a day or two just resting and getting your strength back.
    I took pepto bismol when I had it but couldn't keep it down. I ended up going to the Dr for Odansatron sublingual.
    Hope you feel better soon.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• My kids went through something similar about a month ago. It was SUPER aggressive. Throwing up non stop, pooping and throwing up at the same time. If they hadn't each come down with it staggered by a couple days. I would have thought it was food related. Whatever it was cleared in about 24 hours and they were good as new. Left as fast as it came on!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Most likely it's a virus
    The belly pain is probably colitis

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• I'd skip that. it has aspirin in it,and that can irritate the stomach lining. Try Tums and some Tylenol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Wow, you've raised an awesome kid. Feel better soon.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Is it okay to take pepto bismol? I thought it might help with the pain...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• I haven't had anything like this in years... It's the worst pain, almost like a labor contraction... I feel for the little ones, I'm a grown woman and it's brought me to tears, I can't imagine how it would make a child feel.... :-(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Okay, I'll do that, thanks! I know one thing, this has made me realize what a great teenager we have. He's went to the store for 7up for me, went and picked up supper for his little brothers, and has been waiting on me all day.... He could have been hanging out with his girlfriend, or with his friends, but since Hubby's away, he stayed home to help me out....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2013

• Thanks everyone! I have to agree, all 3 of our boys are great. The first thing I was asked when I got up this morning was how my tummy was feeling (by our 10 yr old).... I'm still weak, and I have pain, but nothing like yesterday, and a whopping headache, but I think I'm going to tough it out, and let it run it's course.

Thanks again for all the great responses!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:11 AM on Mar. 10, 2013