is it ok for vegetables (corn, peas, edamame) to show up in infant's stool?

i am concerned that my baby may not be getting the nutrients from the vegetables.

guinnessweaver

Asked by guinnessweaver at 1:15 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pretty normal. actually corn will show up in yours too...our bodies dont break down corn completely.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:16 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• That is normal. If your little one is over 6 months, and is able to feed themselves then their bodies are ready to get the nutrients they need from these foods. If you're having to "help" baby by putting the food in their mouth for them - it could be a sign that their tummies aren't ready.

And like the first poster said - even adults do not completely digest corn. :)
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 2:18 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• she gets the nutrients. any sort of veggie with a hull, like corn and peas, our bodies do not have an enzyme to break down the hull, but the insides get absorbed. Very sormal tp see that in poop. no worries.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Yep, it's fine! As mentioned, it's not being digested completely and is coming out. When they have molars and can actually grind it up better before swallowing you won't notice it "as much".

Wait until the first time you give raisins!! LOL (when the baby is much older, obviously)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:29 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If your son has teeth and you are feeding him fingerfoods, then I don't see the harm in seeing these foods in the stool. But, I wonder just how young your child is to be eating whole kernels of corn. It may be safer to slightly process the food in a blender or food processer before giving it to you're son if you are concerned about whether he is getting the nutrition that he needs. A website for baby food recipes suggests that the optimal age that an infant may consume corn is 12 months. However, the nutritional value in corn is actually lacking. Although it is packed with carbohydrates and proteins, it contains very little vitamins and minerals.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:21 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• yes my daughter has that sometimes, but my doctor told me that babies shouldnt have whole corn until they are 12 months. other veggies are fine but because we cant digest it babies digestive systems cant handle it whole only purred.
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 5:14 PM on Feb. 16, 2009