My boyfriend has recently found god while being locked up ...for the 2nd time ... but either way i'm very happy for him because it brings a glow to his eyes now.. well i believe in God and i know when i die i want to walk beside him in heaven ... my issue is my boyfriend is asking me to read the bible and to talk to God everyday... i dont like talking about it or being asked to read the bible when i am not sure i want to read it ... what do i do?

lcross37

Asked by lcross37 at 3:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you aren't comfortable with talking about God or reading the Bible, tell your boyfriend you are glad he has found satisfaction in his religion, but you aren't at the same place he is and you would appreciate it if he didn't pressure you. Keep repeating the same thing, maybe even practice saying it when he isn't around, like a broken record; he'll get it eventually. You deserve to be respected, no matter what your beliefs are, even if your boyfriend has found a new outlook that works for him.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2013

• i dont feel it makes me less connected or close to God... i dont feel comfortable though and wish explaining that didnt make me look like an atheist or worse ...lol... i'm not saying it does but thats how it feels when i say that outloud to those who have the kind of courage to speak to everyone about a subject that doesnt rub everyone the same way.. i think thats my problem..i'm a people pleaser and to do or say anything to cause someone to feel uncomfortable or discomfort then i want no part of it.. should i be concerned about how i feel i want to be as a christian?
    lcross37

Comment by lcross37 (original poster) at 3:27 AM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I think the world would apreciate more Christians who didn't push their faith on people, and who cared like you do about not rubbing people the wrong way. I'm a Christian; I admit that openly and with no shame whatsoever. But I find those who push the Bible into every conversation or force it on people who aren't comfortable with it annoying at best.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2013

• You should do what you're comfortable with. Believing in God doesn't mean you have to talk non stop about him. To me that's just an act to put on for other people and I don't think God would be very impressed by it. Tell you're BF you'll talk when you feel you have something to say.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:29 AM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Leave your boyfriend.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 7:37 AM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Just tell him. You do not want to. You are not a child. You do not have to just because he want to. Tell him thanks but no thanks.

Answer by louise2 at 7:53 AM on Mar. 10, 2013

• "I'm happy with my relationship with God and how much of the Bible I have read. Please stop pressuring me to do more. If you feel that you need to do more, I support that, so please support me in not needing to do the same things as you."

It's that simple. If he doesn't respect that, then maybe the problem isn't religion (or lack of) but instead one of control or other incompatibilities.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2013

• He needs to find a church or Bible study group to share his new-found enthusiasm. Tell him it's great that he wants to share this part of his life with you, but that you would like to talk about others things too. There's nothing wrong with having occasional discussions about your faith. Esp. if it's someone you think you have a future with. Ultimately tho, you have to be comfortable in the relationship. So only allow what you are able to handle.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 10, 2013

• You can try talking about it but in the end being not 'equally yoked' could cause strain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Atheist or worse? What exactly is bad about atheists and what do you mean when you say '' or worse''?

Tell him he's making you uncomfortable and to stop pushing you. Stand up for yourself and your beliefs.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 10, 2013