Entitled step daughter

My Step daughter is 15 I have a 16 year old daughter myself my dh and my daughter we live in a two bedroom apartment (right now thats all we can afford) We have sd eowe and she complains that she has to share a room with her step sister. What ya'll think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Are you thinking she shouldn't complain, or that she should like/appreciate it?
    What if you could recognize the validity of the situation (that a 2 BR is what you have, making space for her in your daughter's room is what works, and that she is only there 4 days a month so you are not presently prioritizing making a change) while simultaneously recognizing that her personal feelings or reactions are valid, too? It could help. Someone's displeasure with a situation doesn't mean the situation is wrong or that you are doing something wrong (though it's easy to feel that way if you take it personally.) Responding as if the feelings are wrong doesn't tend to help the relationship OR the situation.
    She is bummed about sharing space with someone when she visits, which is a drag for her.
    It probably takes the form of complaining, which is tedious.
    It might help if you make space for her unhappiness as making sense.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• This whole "everyone needs his or her own room" thing is a relatively new idea that has come from our culture of plenty. A generation ago, many kids didn't even have their own beds, much less entire rooms to themselves. Society tells us we all suffer if we don't have our own space, but it's just not true. Sorry, but I think a trip to the local homeless shelter to help out some people who don't have their own roofs, let alone their own rooms, might be in order.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Well I can understand that it doesn't feel like her room since her SS has it full time. That's life however there's nothing wrong with sharing.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2013