Entitled step daughter

My Step daughter is 15 I have a 16 year old daughter myself my dh and my daughter we live in a two bedroom apartment (right now thats all we can afford) We have sd eowe and she complains that she has to share a room with her step sister. What ya'll think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Mar. 10, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Well I can understand that it doesn't feel like her room since her SS has it full time. That's life however there's nothing wrong with sharing.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• This whole "everyone needs his or her own room" thing is a relatively new idea that has come from our culture of plenty. A generation ago, many kids didn't even have their own beds, much less entire rooms to themselves. Society tells us we all suffer if we don't have our own space, but it's just not true. Sorry, but I think a trip to the local homeless shelter to help out some people who don't have their own roofs, let alone their own rooms, might be in order.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Are you thinking she shouldn't complain, or that she should like/appreciate it?
    What if you could recognize the validity of the situation (that a 2 BR is what you have, making space for her in your daughter's room is what works, and that she is only there 4 days a month so you are not presently prioritizing making a change) while simultaneously recognizing that her personal feelings or reactions are valid, too? It could help. Someone's displeasure with a situation doesn't mean the situation is wrong or that you are doing something wrong (though it's easy to feel that way if you take it personally.) Responding as if the feelings are wrong doesn't tend to help the relationship OR the situation.
    She is bummed about sharing space with someone when she visits, which is a drag for her.
    It probably takes the form of complaining, which is tedious.
    It might help if you make space for her unhappiness as making sense.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:30 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Well hopefully she has dedicated space in the room and your dd should respect that even when sd isn't there.

If both those things are good, then she just needs to suck it up.
    macbudsmom

Answer by macbudsmom at 2:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• 4 days a month...she can suck it up or sleep on the couch
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 1:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Your sd prob feels like she doesn't have a place in your house. When she's there, she likely sees it as she is having to sleep in her step sisters room - which is very different from actually sharing a room with someone. Just my opinion from having grown up in a blended family.
    If there's any way you can afford it I would move to a 3 bdr. If there truly isn't, make sure she at least has a say in how the room is decorated and her own space to store stuff.

Answer by missanc at 1:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• There really is nothing to NOT complain about at that age. So ignore.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• She's gonna have to get over it. I mean it is the way it is...it could be worse!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• If she were here more time we would save up for a bigger place but she's only here 4 days out of the month.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• At that age I remember complaining about a lot of things. She will just have to get over it. Life isn't fair.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:11 PM on Mar. 10, 2013