baptizing a baby or not...

iIam Catholic and my DH and his family are old southern Baptist and we disagree on baptizing. I want it done in my church and he believes we should wait til our son sins. Before I had the baby we said I could do it but he wouldn't be there. Our son is now 4 months old and I don't want to wait any longer. In your opinion, should I wait until he's older, or do it now and just deal with them not being there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if it means a lot to you i would say do it. i know that sounds mean of me, but youre never going to agree 100% on this one. Let your DH know that you will raise the baby in both churches and when he gets old enough he can choose his own path. my parents did this with me and my brothers and it was the greatest thing. we got baptized as babies, and when we were older after we had experienced many different religions, we chose to be catholic, so we were rebaptized and did all the classes and stuff. it was great for us, and it was great for my parents bc it was never hanging over their heads. they knew that they would both teach us what they believe and we got to make the ultimate decision. hope that helped a little. good luck
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 1:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• wow thats a tough one, i personally would want my husband to be there but i cant speak for everyone
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Personally, I feel baptism is pointless for a baby. They haven't sinned. And I would want my husband to be there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Baptism isn't only about cleansing one's sins; it's publicly aknowledging that your child is a member of God's family and the Catholic church. If you truly believe that your son is not only your son, but God's child, then I think that you should have him baptized. Your husband may think otherwise about this, but in reality, having your son baptized now, in my opinion, will not cause any harm.

In fact if he chooses to follow another faith later in life, he can do so. But for now, I don't see how presenting your son into God's family and blessing him with the Holy Spirit is going to hurt.
    However, before you do anything, you should talk to your priest. He may have better advice than any of us, and if I'm not mistaken, you should have to meet with him prior to the baptism for spiritual sharing/counseling anyway
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:15 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If it meant that much to me, I would do it, and I would also be pretty pissed if my husband did not attend. I say do it in the Catholic church now, and do it in his church when he feels it is time. Can you guys make that compromise?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Don't do it unless you have come to the agreement to raise your son Catholic. That is the committment you are making when you baptize. It is something to be taken very seriously so I would wait until you both are in agreement.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:28 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Why would you risk your realationship with your husband over this? He doesn't disagree with baptism just baptism of infants so why not wait? It's called compromise. You can't truly raise a child in two religions. They will eventually choose one or the other...or none. People always say 'Oh, you can do this ceremony or this ritual' until it actually presents itself and they realize they don't feel comfortable with it. You should have thought this through a little better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You baptize to wash away original sin and to proclaim that you will help raise the child in that religion. I would be taking the baby to church, even switching between the two if possible. If he doesn't step in and take the lead towards his church, go with the Catholic church & baptize.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You get baptized after you become saved and give your heart to Jesus. I dont believe baptizing a baby it is for them to decide when thay want tot be baptized.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• agreed with anon 8:05
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 10:20 AM on Feb. 16, 2009