Aggressive Atheism

It's funny that I actually thought twice about posting this, nearly giving in to the fear of offending others in this forum.

Isn't that silly?  Isn't this forum about free speech and the discussion/debate of all things religion?  Are there aspects of religion that should be off-limits?

Ultimately, I believe (oops - I thought atheists don't believe in anything . . .) that it is our responsibility to uphold the free exchange of ideas and to challenge those things that strike us as wrong - such as the imposition of religious beliefs into the lives of those who do not subscribe to those beliefs.  That happens more than we realize or are willing to admit.

So, I present this video by Pat Condell.  Watch it if you are interested in having a discussion.  Skip it if you are easily offended.  If you are unable or unwilling to watch the video, please refrain from commenting.  I am not interested in critiques of Mr. Condell's style.  He is abrasive, and unapologetically so.  I am more interested in discussing the ideas he presents.

I am most interested in discussing the idea that "truths" can and should be challenged.  Those that are real truths can stand up to scrutiny.  Those that cannot . . . well, how can we call them truths?  Most importantly, should any discussion be banned?  Should religious ideas be protected against free speech?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 2:13 PM on Mar. 10, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Your link just goes back to this post
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Thanks.  I'll correct that.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• There we go.  Cafemom was glitchy when I initially posted this.  I think I have the link fixed, now, though.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• In all honesty his video is pure opinion and pure his perception of things. Nothing more and he has every right to his opinion. I agreed with him on some things, but there are a few things I disagreed with.
    Anonymous

• Religion is a matter of opinion, still we discuss it here.  And that, by the way, is the point of this discussion.  What, of any worth, do you have to add to the discussion of the original post?  Do you have anything to offer with regard to the questions?

If I seem a bit testy, it's because I'm tired of reading and responding to the influx of posts and replies by "Anonymous".  I wish Cafemom would do away with this cowardly device.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I should have used the word "substance" in place of the word "worth".

Do you have anything of substance to add to this discussion, pertaining to the topic?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I don't think anyone, religious, atheist, or otherwise knows the TRUTH. So sure, go ahead and challenge it. The world would be a boring place if nobody challenged anything. People on both sides are always going to think that they know something the other side doesn't and that their way or thinking is more correct and reasonable than the others. Regardless of my personal beliefs, I don't think either side is more right or wrong than the other. As for free speech, if one is so content in what they believe, why would it bother them when someone chooses to voice an opposing opinion?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I like him.

Answer by louise2 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• You should never fear posting anything here that may or may not offend anyone. That being said, I understand the need for people to want proof of anything that may be from a higher being.
    Being a Christian myself, I have questioned a lot about what is going on in this world. Especially when our son was sent to Iraq for two tours. It wasn't Gods will to have these young men put their life on the line. Was it? If so, I call bullshit! For that, I blame politics.
    The only thing I can tell you concerning me is, faith in God gives me a sense of peace. Following the Ten Commandments is my guidance to living right in my life.
    Religious ideas will always be scrutinized because not one of us can prove a damn thing. It's how it makes my heart feel that's important to me.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• All things are free for discussion......including reliigous beliefs. If someone doesn't like their beliefs being discussed, there is an easy answer....walk away.
    We are all free to our ideas and opinions about things. We are all free to discuss them with anyone willing to listen and others are free to counter any claims by someone. Does this mean one or the other is "more right"? Nope.

I agree most with him on his ideas about faith. Of course now I have to go rewatch it because I can't remember exactly his wording on it as I watched it earlier.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2013