Should I buy eggs from a local farmer?

I keep wanting to buy eggs from a local farmer, but I don't know why I'm being so hesitant. I know buying local is good, but is there anything I should be cautious of?

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Price. It might be local, but it doesn't mean it's cheaper.

Answer by louise2 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Yeah but I guess I'm more concerned with safety/quality.
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Have you been to a farm to check it out or is this from a farmers market?
    In all honesty, I would not buy eggs at a farmers market unless I knew the farmer. But I raise egg chickens, so it's not an issue for me. We see our extras to DH's co-workers.

If there is a farm that you are interested in buying from, call and ask about the feed they use, how much room the chickens and if you can go see the farm. Most people who are doing things the right way will allow you to visit. If they say in no ucertain terms no, then avoid that place.

If you go to the farm the coops should be large and moderately clean (chickens are gross and the coops get gross quickly.) The chickens should be roaming around their house/coop at will with plenty of room and no one should be eating their eggs (they eat them when there is insufficient food available.) And don't be too concerned if there are unwashed eggs out. Only the washed need the fridge
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• It's just a little roadside shop. I believe the farm is back off the road. Thanks for the advice!
    maecntpntz219

Comment by maecntpntz219 (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• The only thing I would be worried about is how they keep. The eggs you buy in the store are cleaned and whatever else they do, and last quite some time, but I would be afraid of buying more eggs than I could use in the time they'd be viable.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:56 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I only buy fresh eggs but, like B-I states, I know the farmer.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:29 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I bought eggs locally for a short while, but they tasted odd to me. I don't know why, since there was nothing wrong with them in that I didn't get sick or anything, but they just had a strange flavor. I thought maybe it was the diet of the chickens, since the hens that lay for the big company factories are probably given a more standard feed than the ones roaming around in a coop on some local farm.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I buy eggs from my neighbors who put coolers at the end of their driveway. They are always great, and I've met the hens personally and they seem like happy healthy birds.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 4:32 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I LOVE farm fresh eggs.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:54 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• The eggs tasted funny because the chickens are eating a real diet, not factory farm crap diet.

DH and I have a farmer grow heritage breed meat chickens for our family. The flavor is so much different because these chickens get to move around and build muscle and have far more blood flow. The white meat is a bit darker too. DH says he'll never eat a factory raised chicken (or any meat) ever again. I'm a veggie, so I don't really get a say, but I agree with him.

And farm fresh eggs last a long time. They keep just fine, Wendy. The ones you buy at the grocery store are a lot older than you would think. And if you crack one of each next to each other, the color difference in the yolks is amazing. And if the chickens get a lot of red bell peppers the yolks can be almost a deep red-orange.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2013