What is your definition of clingy?

If you are dating someone for only 3 or 4 months if they began to be obsessive and too clingy that it will make you scared to leave them would you see the clingyness as reasonable due to enough time involved with each other in 3 or 4 months? or would you see it as crazy? personally if it is still 3 or 4 months...thats should be still getting to know each other time and take it slow

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2013 in Relationships

• To me, clingy is someone who is always wanting to spend time with me, and wanting me to spend time with them, to the exclusion of all else. Someone who wants me to call them constantly, ignore friends/family for them, pushing to move the relationship faster than I want, getting jealous over nothing (or just jealous all the time), getting upset when I refuse to give in to their desires/demands.

While all of those things might be reasonable to a point, there is that point where it goes over the line to clingy. For me, that line is crossed when I start to feel suffocated, and start looking for ways to avoid the person and their calls for some breathing room.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:05 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• everything you just named fit this person answer lol he screamed thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I agree with Wendy. Clingy to me is when someone starts to upset the balance in my life, taking away from other things and people to the point where I resent it or feel smothered. For me, clinginess wouldn't be good in a relationship, no matter how long or how briefly the relationship had gone on. I've never had to break up over the issue, but I've drastically cut contact with a few friends because I felt they were drowning me with their demands and neediness.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Clingy. To me is not a good thing. I would not stay in a relationship with a man that was clingy.

Answer by louise2 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Obsessive and clingy are problems that do not go away and its good it was found out early on in the relationship.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Clingy describes my hudband to a T. He wants to know exactly where I am going, who I see, what we talk about, and what I am thinking at every waking moment of the day. We have married for 10 years and while some of it is a normal part of a reationship, he goes well beyond that. And, I have finally come to realize that his clinginess is tearing us apart and slowly dragging me down.
    After only 3 or 4 months, I think I would be running as far and fast as I could in the opposite direction.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Crazy. I can't stand that feeling of wanting to get away from someone breathing down my neck.

Ashley - that's not clingy, that's controlling

Answer by missanc at 4:41 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I was going to say that to about Ashleys DH. missanc. You beat me to it.

Answer by louise2 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• o wow....great responses...yes my nephew wanted a thought on this. i had a talk with him and about the girl hes going with. to me she need her parents should no guy have to motivate you to get a job. i told him to leave before its too late . she went to church with me one time because he was going to my church. she only do things becuase he does it not because she wants to.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• My definition would be being overreliant on someone for your happiness.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2013