Your opinions?

A friend of mine has a girl aged 8, she has shingles, quite rare for a youngster so her dr says. The dr insisted that she stay at home and can not even wait in the dr's waiting room.

In a couple of days the 8 year old is going to a concert, do you think this is wise?

Aren't shingles contagious?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Mar. 10, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Shingles are from the same virus as chicken pox, but it's not just contagion, it's the chance of making herself sicker by picking up additional infection.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Yes it's contagious. She should not go out until the doctor says she's in the clear.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Shingles are contagious, but only if someone comes in contact with the lesions. Depending on where they are on the girl, the chances of her spreading them to anyone aren't that good. They're painful, though, and they could get infected if not kept clean.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:31 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I thought they were contagious?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• They're contagious if you come in contact with them while they're in their blister form or open. You have to literally touch her to get them.
    It's not wise of her mother to expose her to others unless the blisters are healed.
    I come into contact with people all the time who have shingles in the pharmacy but I also spray everything down with alcohol when they leave.
    She's the youngest person I've ever heard of that has the shingles! Poor thing!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• My baby was a month old when my neihbor came & rang the bell to see the new baby. She came in & the baby was asleep so she didn't pick her up or touch her but she gave me a congrats kiss on the cheek. Then she said "oh maybe I shouldn't have come since I have shingles, see all around the side of my face?" I almost screamed AHHHHHHHHHHHH....then she went home. I called the Pediatricians office & told them, They said as long as I wash my face & hands really well & anything the lady may have touched that we'd be OK. I ran & showered. We never got sick thank goodness, but what an A-Hole move. The little girl should stay home too!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:22 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Seriously? It's this kind of thinking that makes me mad. Shingles is contagious. And, no, you don't have to just come in contact with the lesions. you can get pass the virus through touch too. There are people out there that have autoimmune conditions they live with everyday. And when people who are obviously sick and shouldn't be in public go out, the people who are living with autoimmune conditions who cannot hibernate then catch the viruses, and sometimes can be fatal. THIS is the reason the doctor is insisting. It's not becasue your dd won't get over this illness, it's becasue she can severely impact the health of others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Highly contagious. No concert for her...if you are going to the same concert I'm taking my daughter to in a couple of days, let me know where you are sitting.....! My sister had a breakout after an extremely traumatic situation and she could not come near my new born son for awhile. Heartbreaking but you have to think of the well being of others.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:37 PM on Mar. 12, 2013