How did you introduce the Potty?

Potty training has started and we haven't gotten the hang of it yet. Any tips or insight would help! Thanks. :)

KimmyDaring

Asked by KimmyDaring at 6:35 PM on Mar. 10, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No diapers, no pants, just set the timer for every half hour, made them sit for 2-3 books, if they went they got 3 m&ms for pee, 5 for bm's

Answer by missanc at 6:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Going POTTY is so FUN! YAY! Watch me do it! COOL! Now you try! GOOD TRY!

etc.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• How old is the kiddo?

I just let my daughter in with me so she could observe, and then later on we bought a stupid video called "Go Potty Go!" I still remember those catchy, if incredibly dumb, potty songs after two years, but I'm not sure they did any good.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I have boys and boys will inevitably pee soon after the diaper comes off and running water helps. So, starting at around age 2 (for mine) I sat them on the potty before a bath and made a big deal about it when they had success. Then, once their bodies were ready (showing interest in the potty, hiding to go poop in diaper, having dry diapers at night) then, I'd given them special underwear with something they like, cars or superheroes for example, and no more diapers. Accidents will happen often but keep trying. For awhile, diapers or pull-ups at night and long trips. Bribes, like candy or stickers, can help too once they understand what the potty is for.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• How to introduce the Potty?
    The same way you would introduce new toy, or new food. It should be exciting and positive experience for a child and you. You can simple have it in the bathroom and show it to your child. Tell them what it is and what it is used for. Every time you go bathroom, explain that your child should do the same just on the potty.
    If you already started then make it fun. It is very important to stay positive. If you will get upset or mad at your child for having accident, then your child will start hating potty and the whole experience. Also, be consistent. If you take diaper off it should stay off (except nap/night time). Let your child guide you.
    Remember that it takes lots of patience and guidance from the parent.
    Hope this helps and good luck!
    You can check out my book "Mommy, are you ready for potty training?!" http://humptydumptyparent.com/mommy-are-you-ready-for-potty-training/
    Vesta S.

Answer by Vesta S. at 7:12 PM on Mar. 12, 2013