Did you ever wonder exactly how many people God killed in the Bible?

I think it's interesting that someone took the time to tally up all the deaths attributed to God in this book - a complete list and an estimated total.

How many has God killed?

When the books of the Bible were written, do you think the intent was to inspire fear among the followers of its faiths, or to inspire fear among those outside the faiths of the Abrahamic religions?

Why has the focus shifted from merciless death to unmeasurable love (with many of the current versions of Christianity, anyway)?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 8:53 PM on Mar. 10, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I think it was to spread fear to all. That terrible things would happen to them if they did not worship & obey God.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Someone had too much time on their hands. *Eye roll.*
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:15 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Remember this?

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I wouldn't say that, Ballad.  Perhaps he did this in his free time, and who are we to dictate how that time should be spent?  It's interesting, nonetheless, to consider how many deaths God is directly responsible for in the Bible.  Rather mind-boggling to consider - if it were true, of course.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 9:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• No, not really. I actually think it's pretty sad to invest so much time and effort in something so pointless. Just another attempt at discrediting G-d through anthropomorphizing Him.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• That hinges on one interpretation, though. Not everyone believes those narratives actually happened, or that people actually died. For example, there's the belief that the genocide of the Canaanites reflects merely the start of a counter-narrative, as archaeological evidence doesn't support such an event actually happening. I think, honestly, that a lot of the text represents the times - the tribes battling each other (I'm reading a book now that posits that all the "begats" in Genesis, at least, since that's the chapter I'm on, reflect, actually, the various tribes, for example). I don't think that you can read the text in a vacuum when it wasn't written in one, and that when you actually apply the historic data to the dates the texts were written it shows a different way of interpretation, as opposed to just labeling God as whatever people call Him based on one (IMO, flawed) literal factual way of looking at the text.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:06 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• The bible is for crowd control, end of story.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:31 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• He is anthropomorphized in the Bible.  These counts are from the stories in the book.  It doesn't really matter whether or not they are true or believed to be true, whether God is a real character or a fictional one (the latter is, of course, the most likely, considering the evidence or lack thereof).  Regardless of any of that, according to the "Good Book", he did kill a lot of people.  A lot.  Yet, he's considered good and loving . . .

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 6:49 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I think it's the one book about murder where people end up routing for the murderer and even go on to worship him. It's sick.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:16 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• "He is anthropomorphized in the Bible"

No, He's not. His attributs are in order for us to understand how we should use them, since we have them as well.
    But that's not the same as humanizing G-d to the point that He always should act like we do. He doesn't, just as I don't have to act like my children do to be considered "good". I'm allowed to do things they're not because as an adult, I know better. G-d is "allowed" to do things we're not because He knows better.
    This reminds me of my sil saying he hates lions because they're lazy, mysoginist and oppress their women and cubs. It's silly. If a HUMAN male did that, sure. But lions aren't humans, they don't have to act like us, they act according to their nature and therefore cannot be judged according to OUR nature.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2013