We have narrowed it down to a Boxer, Lab, or a Siberian Husky...

Anyone with these breeds want to offer me some input to help influence my decision. We have been researching for weeks now and I have settled on one of these 3 breeds.

deputywife

Asked by deputywife at 1:45 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pets

• labs are great dogs! as long as you have a yard! they are very high energy but theyre great with kids. you also want to make sure if you get a lab you train it right away as a puppy to not run out the door. labs are natural explorers and if they get out they will follow their nose wherever it takes them and they wont listen to any of your commands! but start early and its not a problem!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:04 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• me and my dh bred huskies for 5 years....DO NOT GET ONE IF ITS GOING TO BE IN A FENCE. Ours would scale an 8 ft wooden privacy fence like it was a cat on a scratch post! They are very sweet, but they dig and climb fences constently!
    I grew up around boxers, they are OK as long as they have exercise! I did have one attack me-i was 4 and the dog was prob 4 or 5. But out of the 3 they are my favorite. Have you looked into getting a Doberman? I have one now and she is the sweetest, gentlest lap dog you have ever seen.
    aDIVASmommy

Answer by aDIVASmommy at 2:11 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• My ex has 2 Boxers. They seem good with kids. I will say this though (not to sway your opinion) but one bit Chase on the lip last year and he needed a couple stitches. They did say that Chase startled the dog. I was not there...just heard the story from Rhiannon and Al. Anyway, thy seem good and well behaved. There is one child younger than Chase over there and there have never been problems. I also had a Lab when Rhiannon and Chase were young. They didn't really interact with the dog because it was an outside dog (I hate indoor animals in a house with carpet). The dog was friendly though.
    momK3rcc

Answer by momK3rcc at 2:21 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• well i have two boxers and they are pretty good one male and one female boxers are good dogs it really depends on how u raise them too they are hyper till about 3 years old i have owned a lab before very good dogs if u do get a dog make sure to get it as a puppy and teach the kids to be gentle with the dog as u prob know my kids play with the boxers and they dont nip or anything they know not to get rough good luck with ure decision it's hard to decide what to get for the family
    motherofboys333

Answer by motherofboys333 at 2:46 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I have had a lab and yes he was a sweetheart, but he wanted and needed a lot of exercise. He shed soooooooo much! I hated that! It is really bad. He also drooled a lot. It was so gross. If you are a clean freak like me I would have to say he is not the dog for you. We just got a shitzu a couple of months ago and are absolutely in love with him! He is the best dog ever! He is sooooo sweet. He does not shed, he does not bark, he plays with my son, he lays with us in bed. He smells good. We bathe him once a week. He is so great! Just thought I would share my opinion with you :)
    scrapbookmom326

Answer by scrapbookmom326 at 4:01 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• we have siberian husky, and he sheds hair all the time, so if your up to brushing, then go for it, he is very energetic, and we have big yard, he loves lots of attention too, goodluck...on getting your dog,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I haven't had any of these breeds, but we do have a german shepherd. She sheds a ton! But she's an excellent dog. She's seven months old, very intelligent and gentle. Shepherds need a lot of exercise and love to play, but if you give them the exercise, they can be very calm indoors.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I've owned Boxers before, and they are GREAT dogs. They are (by far) my favorite breed, but this breed isn't for every one. They are a very high-energy dog.
    Labs are great dogs too, my mom has a 5 month old Lab, and she is the sweetest dog ever. Labs are very smart and are great with children!
    I've never owned a Husky, but I personally don't like the breed. They are too furry for me.
    Good luck in choosing the right dog for your family. If you have any questions about Boxers let me know. We had them for years and years, my mom used to breed them and I could answer any questions about them that you might have.
    Check out dogbreedinfo.com this gives great info on any dog breed you may be interested in!
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:21 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Well we had a Siberian Husky and they are super cute puppies, but they love to run and they are very high energy and they do not make very good indoor dogs, they also like cold weather. Boxers also love to run and are very hard to contain if they get bored, one of our neighbors has one and he is constantly jumping the fence for his daily escapades, he's also not very well trained. We currently have a chocolate lab that we got when she was about 5 years old and I wouldn't own any other dog. She has her faults, like you cannot leave any food on the countertops, as if it's up there it's fair game, we also cannot leave our garbage in an unsecured place, she's a garbage gut. And she's also and escape expert when she is bored she will case the fence and if there is somewhere to squeeze thru or a gate left open she takes full advantage of it, she always comes home and her gut looks like it could explode. Cont..
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 11:47 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Her good characteristics...she is an AWESOME CAMPER and SWIMMER. She listens extremely well and she is never vicious or mean to any human. Her love is unconditional and she is part of the family. I swear she knows how to understand us. Labs are so sweet, however unless you are a stay at home Mommy I would not get a puppy of any kind, it takes about 3 to 4 years for them to get rid of the annoying puppy syndrome and develop into your lifelong loving friend. You picked super high energy dogs so whatever you decide make sure you keep them occupied or you might find they turn to destructive behaviors. Have fun. Post what you decide.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 11:53 AM on Feb. 16, 2009