What the hell?

Sometimes I really wonder what the hell my kid is thinking! I was folding laundry just outside the bathroom door, with it standing open, and she was playing in the tub. The carpet started to get wet under my feet, so I went into the bathroom, and she was pouring cup after cup of water out of the tub all over the floor, like she was bailing out a boat!

"Hey! What are you doing?"

"I don't know."

"Look at the mess. Why are you dumping out the water?"

"I don't know."

Five towels, one mop, and ten minutes later, I'm thinkin, what the hell?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 9:52 PM on Mar. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• "I don't know" in response to that kind of "Hey! What are you doing?" often means something like "Having fun, but it appears you are upset about it, so I'm trying to figure out right answers & just stay safe." They honestly aren't sure exactly what you want to hear, so they get super-conservative.

When my 4 year olds resort to "I don't know" I usually just reflect something like "It sounds like maybe you are worried that I am upset."

My kids have all done the bailing out thing in the tub....dumping cups of water right over the edge! It never fails; that will blow your mind. I think it must be seriously fun. My kids have been pretty willing to keep the water IN the tub once I show up with some urgency about it and express why it's a problem for me, and it doesn't keep happening, but yeah, it has happened with my two little ones and also when my oldest was younger.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:25 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Did you every listen to Bill Cosbey?
    He had a routine about his son getting his ears pierced. He obviously was told not to. So BC is talking to him
    Looks like your ear is swollen, son.
    Yes.
    Does it hurt?
    Uh Huh
    Looks like a piercing that got infected. How did that happen?
    I don't know.
    How did the hole get in your ear?
    I don't know.
    Son was your head with you all day?
    Uh HU.
    Was your head with you when you went to the earring store?
    I don't know.

That is not even close because Cosby is funny and I am not so much. But that was the gist ofit.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:47 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Cosby was so funny. My bf and I will look at each other sometimes and go into that routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ysFvUizRj8

tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Dang Kids sometimes!!! This is why my 3yo Nephew isn't allowed baths anymore!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Ahhh my son has done this a few times. Luckily we don't have carpet in the bathroom or hallway!
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Mine did that too,with an evil grin on his face

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• We use to tell our Mother we did not know either. ; )
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I get the I don't know response allllll the time.

My 3 year old does the water thing too. Drives me bonkerz cleaning that mess up.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:53 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I can't say for sure because I couldn't see it, but by the tone of her voice, I bet the evil grin was freakin' leaping off her face!

As far as my mother, we wouldn't have dared do anything like that in her house. Seriously, the bodies would never have been found.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• OMG! I'm laughing so hard I've got tears in my eyes.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Mar. 10, 2013