How to get kids use to showers

my grandsons are 6 and 2 and hate taking a shower. i have a hand held shower. how do i get them use to it

carolina54

Asked by carolina54 at 10:55 PM on Mar. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• Well the 2 year old should still be bathed by you,and the 6 year old should be supervised so you'd be in there and.....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Tub or stall shower? If a tub, then let them do a regular bath and use the hand held sprayer to wash their hair.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:59 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Show the older one how to use the shower
    the younger one you should be wtih him while he takes a bath
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Let the kids hold the shower at first so they have control of where the water goes. Let them get used to spraying their feet, then their bodies, before you try to get their hair wet. Have them tip their heads way back so you can wash their hair without water going on their faces.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:03 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• thats what we do they get baths then we use a cup to rinse their hair. my daughter recently got one of those hand held shower thing.
    carolina54

Comment by carolina54 (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Keep using the cup. Try letting them play with the hand held shower thing so they get used to it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• sorry,read that wrong. I read that as having THEM use it,not get USED to it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• Expect that you will be doing the rinsing for quite a while; they'll need time to figure out how to aim it. For the six year old, let him put his hand under yours while you run the shower. The two year old is years away from handling it.

One thing I noticed was that my son really didn't like the rinsing. When he was little, I started using a visor to protest his eyes while rinsing. The water ran all around but not down onto his face.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:17 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

• I have been using it on my children since they were about 2 years old and I put those little visor things on them and then rinsed away. I let them play with it a little before using it and make sure to not get it in their eyes. At 5.5 and 7.5 they now pretty much take showers on their own with the exception of me making sure the 5.5 year old has her hair cleaned well since she has really long hair. The 7.5 is a boy and does fine with his short hair.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:22 AM on Mar. 11, 2013