Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 Bumps

Getting Custody of a Teenager

My niece has a friend who was staying with her grandmother. Her mom is in Prison and her father lives with his girlfriend. The grandmother keeps kicking Ashley out of her house. She went to stay with her dad but they only had 1 bathroom and there was a lot of people living there. I have let Ashley stay with me for the past 2 weeks. She is 15, needs glasses and hasn't had any dental work done in a long time. Her father is a flake and actually told her yesterday that they don't want her there because they don't want to have to feed her. I feel so bad for her. She will turn 16 in May. What do I need to do to get custody or something so I can get this poor girl glasses and get her into see a dentist. She has a bad tooth that is causing her pain. We talked to her about getting emancipated when she is 16.

Answer Question

Asked by Ambear72 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 10, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

Level 13 (1,083 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • If you are looking for support, financial or otherwise from the parents or the government you will have to file with the court (an lawyer)
    Requesting cutody of the child. A Guardian ad Litem would probably b assigned and you and the parents would pay for that as well.
    Then you would prove that the present guardians and parents are unfit parents. They would probably put her in foster care of some sort until it was all settled and they would have to do checks on you and your home as well. and then it is possible to adopt

    If you are not looking for any kind of support, the girl, with a lawyer could seek to be emancipated. Ifthe were granted she could live where ever she liked.

    Answer by Dardenella at 11:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

  • Rather than try for custody, which would be pretty tough, why not just ask her Dad if he will give you power of attorney or guardianship? Either will give you the right to make legal and medical decision for the child. Check with you insurance company and see which will allow you to add her to your coverage.

    It will be much easier if you can get Dad on board with the idea, and if he's talking to her like that I bet he'd jump at the suggestion.

    Answer by desert_diva at 11:44 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

  • Guardianship is pretty informal and would probably be your best bet. If the dental thing is an emergency, you might have to go through CPS instead, and get a neglect case opened.

    What a fucked up world we live in!

    Answer by Ballad at 11:51 PM on Mar. 10, 2013

  • yes it is very Fed up. Ashley is a wonderful girl, so nice and so helpful. I didn't think about Foster Care and We don't want that for her. We just want her to get medical help and feel like she is wanted. Her Grandmother has a 3 bdrm house but she gets on these rampages and kicks her out of the house. Her grandma called her the other day told her to go back and Ashley told her, she didn't want to go back there. She told her, why would I want to go back there when all you do is yell at me and kick me out. If I had a room there why is all my stuff in a box (that is sitting in my living room) My heart goes out to her. Thanks for the tips I will see what I can do.

    Comment by Ambear72 (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

  • The dad doesn't want you having guardianship because he'd have to pay you child support. Same with grandma. If she's getting cs then she doesn't want to share it with you. She may already have medicaid however, I'm not sure what the cut off date is for dental services from them. I was thinking it is age 12. You may want to find a dental clinic. Getting CPS involved isn't a bad thing. They can give you temp custody without putting her in foster care so you can get services. Just make some calls. You don't have to give your name to ask questions. I would call Guardian Ad Litem as well and get some info. I can't get over how some people just throw good kids away like they are a pair of unwanted shoes. Good for you that you are there for her. She'll remember your kindness forever.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

  • The laws vary from state to state. If you truly feel that Ashley is being neglected I would report it to CPS. If Ashley wants to pursue emancipation she will need documentation of abuse or neglect and having CPS investigate first is an important step. Since Ashley is an older child she might have more say and a case worker could sympathize with her and just remove her from the home.

    Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

  • I know here we went and had papers drawn granting us custody and had them notarized. That was it. Pretty simple actually, you can also go tithe school they should have custody papers for " school" purposes and you can amend them.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

  • This is really wonderful of you, most people will never do this, although they might have good intentions never really go through with them.....find out the laws in your state to see what you can do

    Answer by older at 5:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

  • Thanks for the words of advice, and encouragement. Its going to be something that takes a lot of work, and research. The first step though is to get her glasses and this weekend if a free medical clinic where we can get her an eye exam, glasses, and a medical check up.

    Comment by Ambear72 (original poster) at 12:13 AM on Mar. 12, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.