at what age can i have unprotected sex and know that i will not get pregnat?

im 51 and its been about one and a half years since my last menstral period

liz2013

Asked by liz2013 at 4:58 AM on Mar. 11, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I'm no doctor but I was told (by my dr) 12 continuous months after your last period. I'd ask my doctor though. I wouldn't chance it.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:12 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• 12 months without a period and you're in menopause. Once in menopause you can't get pregnant. You'll be fine.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• My doctors told me 2 continuousyears you can say you are done.  I went to my doctor after 12 month of no period and he said  I had another 12 months to go.  After 2 years he took the blood test and it confirmed I was in menopause.

Answer by louise2 at 6:49 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• At age 51 the chances of getting pregnant naturally even if you were still having regular periods would be incredibly, incredibly slim ... I think you can relax. OTOX, why not ask your doc for the blood test to confirm menopause if it would set your mind at rest?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• My mother's doctor said 24 months without a period and you are in full in menopause. Some say 12 months.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Have you been to your GYN? They run tests to check hormone levels etc. Other things can stop a period and for that length of time, and not render you infertile. Best to be sure.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:20 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• And guess what- you still shouldn't have unprotected sex. New AIDS cases are high among post-menopausal women. You figure you can't get pregnant, what's the big deal? If you are having sex with a new partner, protect yourself!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I would for sure check with your doctor before you go for it. My old boss was told she would never have children early in her marriage, never conceived and thought she had gone through menopause. At the age of 49, she became pregnant with TWINS! She was slightly more than shocked, needless to say. Craziest thing I have ever heard of.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:45 PM on Mar. 12, 2013