What do you think about breeding my Boxers?

I have a beautiful male boxer who is 1 yr old, and I have a pretty 7 month old female boxer, they are both full blooded but I do not have papers for them. I got the male pretty much from a rescue situation from amish people who said they didnt "bother" with his papers. The females breeder said she would send them to me and changed her number..I thought about breeding them in a about a year or so because they are both amazing examples of the breed and I know some people who would like puppies. BUT I had this lady b*tch me out the other day while I was talking about it, and she said no one would buy them bc they wouldnt be registered and went on to tell me how I am overpopulating the world with useless dogs and other nonsense...She seemed a little nuerotic to me so I didnt take it to heart really. But what do you think? I dont think one litter of puppies is going to overpopulate the world by much. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Pets

• I don't know much about breeding dogs, but I do know that if I wanted a full-blooded one I would not spend money without proof it was. If I'm going to invest money in a pureblood dog, I would want the papers, too. I've heard that you can get papers for the dogs by submitting them to testing by a vet, but that might not be worthwhile financially unless you were going to become an established breeder.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:44 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Well you would kind of be wasting your time. A lot of people who want a purebred dog and are willing to spend the money want the papers. I do not believe you can show the dogs without proof they are purebred and just your word is not going to suffice. Plus really you have to think about it before you go through it. A responsible breeder usually makes no money off of breeding. Most of the money they get from the sale goes to the litters first vet visit and other required medical care, food, and well in most cases registering the breed. So basically if no ones bought the puppies you would be going into debt or if you would have to sell them for say 200 because people do not want to buy unregistered dogs. Just giving you some things to think about. I got my dog from someone who was contracted to breed his dog once to carry the bloodline and at the end of the day he was out 1500 the cost of three of the puppies.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 4:03 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• You would not be wasting your time at all. My mom used to breed Boxers and they are wonderful dogs. She sold all of hers without papers! My mom only had one Boxer that was AKC (one female) the male she used wasn't papered and neither was her second female. There was NEVER a problem selling the puppies . . . . EVER!. I would say "go for it"! You are alsways going to have people that bitch and complain about somebody who is breeding dogs, espcially when the dogs are not papered. I think they can just get over it! As long as you are breeding responciablly (make sure dogs have shots and what not) then you should go ahead and breed them. Finding homes buy selling these puppies isn't going to be a problem w/out papers and I am speaking from experience!

bookay

Answer by bookay at 8:53 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• (CONTINUED FROM ABOVE) When we bred them, my mom made sure they all had shots, they were de-wormed and they were vet checked. She sold the puppies for $450.00 each. Again this is w/o papers. Just because somebody tells you : So basically if no ones bought the puppies you would be going into debt or if you would have to sell them for say 200 because people do not want to buy unregistered dogs. Doesn't mean you have to believe it! I also know of a lady who bred dogs and some of hers were papered (akc) and some weren't. She ended up in the end selling them all unpapered because she found that the Unregistered pups sold just as well (and for the SAME AMOUNT OF $$) as the registered pups!

bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:10 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I'm going to give my opinion on this one, and I know that I will get flamed for it...

Honestly, I disagree with you breeding these dogs. True breeders ONLY breed for the love of the breed and to better the breed. Period. When people have 2 dogs and breed them just so someone can have one or they think it will be a good experience for their child or what not that is considered a back-yard breeder. There are a lot of things to think about before breeding. Are you willing to take care worm and vax the puppies? Have a health guarantee? Take the pups back if something were to happen? Are you willing to provide lineage of the parents, even though you do not have papers? You should talk to some breeders and see what is actually entailed before going into this venture. This is not something to just jump into at all. Also, yes, I do think it just adds to overpopulation. Continued..
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:23 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Continued..
    A lot of people don't research a breed thoroughly, so they see one for sale in the paper and get it. Then, they realize that it is more than they can handle and the dog either ends up in a shelter or on the streets. This leads to more diseases in the animals, pack behaviors that can end badly..(we've all heard the stories) and it also ends in a lot of unnecessary deaths.
    If a purebred dog does not have papers then no it cannot be shown..the akc will not allow it. I have worked with dogs most of my life and been a trainer and around breeders for years. I just don't agree with just breeding a dog for kicks and giggles.. JMO
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:27 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I agree with the ladies who think you SHOULD NOT breed them for many of the same reasons.
    tripsmom1

Answer by tripsmom1 at 10:33 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I am a foster home for a rescue. I have had many fosters come through my home and believe it or not most of them have been pure breed dogs. We only pull from the city shelters so that is where the dogs are ending up. There are FAR too many dogs already out there that need homes. Please do not contribute to the overpopulation of dogs. Responsible breeders breed only to bettter the breed. If you are no showing and breeding for show--which you can't because you do not have papers--please do not breed your dogs. Like another poster has said--if you do it correctly you make NO money. Between the mother's vet visits before, during and after pregnancy and the puppies multiple visits before going to the new homes you just make no profit--if that is why you were thinking of doing it. If you want to do something with the boxer breed--why not think of fostering for a boxer rescue.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:08 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I think it would be okay to breed them. I've purchased unregistered dogs and have been 100% happy with them. I personally have never purchased a dog, just because it has AKC papers. I'm not interested in AKC papers at all, I have to use for them. AKC papers are not important to a lot of pet owners. And it's not that I couldn't afford to purchase and AKC dog, it's only because the papers don't mean anything to me! I didn't pay any less for my unregistered dogs either. When I was "shopping" for my dog (unregistered) there was no difference in price between the unregistered and the registered. I don't think you would have to sell your dogs for much less (if any less at all) just because they are not AKC.
    I would breed them if you want to, I don't think it makes you a "back-yard breeder" like mentioned above.
    (CON BELOW)
    Anonymous

• (CON FROM ^)
    That being said, you should only breeds your dogs if you can properly care for the mother and pups. Pups need shots, de-wormings and many other costly things.
    I wouldn't hesitate to breed, just because you don't have ACK papers for your dogs. And I wouldn't hesitate to breed them, just because some people here think it is irrisponsible to breed dogs that aren't AKC papered (or for any other reasons).
    Anonymous