I'm a slob and I'm sick of it...

I'm sick of making excuses for my problem and getting brow beaten by my family all the time. My house is always a mess and when my mom or other family come over they get frustrated and upset with me. My sister even said that if I don't get it cleaned up she is calling children services on me. I keep telling them that I am overwhelmed, stressed out, depressed, I use the fact that both my kids are on the spectrum and that it's harder to deal with them than typically developing children. I use my own health issues as an excuse and lately I think that I am wrong and that I am just a lazy slob. Other people have kids and don't have this kind of mess. I mean, I don't have trash in corners and bugs crawling around, but toys are always scattered everywhere and trying to get the kids to clean them up is next to impossible. I have baskets of clothes that need to put away. The kids do throw juice containers and juice boxes on the floor and I usually tell them to clean that stuff up right away, same as when they spill food. But there are papers all over the floor (My son rips paper, mail, pictures, boxes, anything like that apart). I sweep them up, put them in the trash then vacuum and then he does it again. I can't stop this behavior but I should clean it up right away and not wait until the next day or evening to do it. I decided to start a self help program to change bad habits and hopefully get more motivated and stop being so lazy. I also want to get my kids to do as much as they can. When I think of all the things I need to do it doesn't seem so bad, but when I look at this mess I want to start crying and just run away. Does anyone have any advice on how to keep my place clean once I get it there? How to keep motivated and not get discouraged or tips on getting my kids to help more or make less of a mess. Honestly, if it was just me and not the kids my house would be clean so I know that I really need to find a way to get them to stop destroying things so much. The best I can do is let them play outside on good days. They don't seem to care about indoor activities and then get into mischief. They need to run and play and blow off steam, sitting and coloring or playing board games just makes them more restless and more likely to start tearing stuff up. Please someone help me before I rip all my hair out lol

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 8:43 AM on Mar. 11, 2013 in Home & Garden

• http://www.flylady.net/

It's a whole re-education!

winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:02 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I agree with winterglow, flylady is the way to go. I don't do as much of it as I want to, but what I do does help. It would help me personally if I wasn't a 3rd generation pack rat.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:27 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Start small. You're going to clean off one stand and when done keep it clean. Add another and then another but insist on keeping them all clean. PITCH! My kids are 4, 5 & 7 and they got tired of picking up their toys and finally asked me if they could get rid of some they don't play with. Duhh...we had a pitching party. Actually the better toys are at my moms to be sold at a yard sale that they get the money off the toys to spend at the fair. As you start to see progress things will get better. Work one on one with the kids having them help you. Perhaps stand 1 could be the job of one child to keep clean. Stand 2 the next and so on. You're not looking for perfection but rather some type of order.

You can set up a sticker chart for the kids. Every time their room is picked up at the end of the night they get a sticker. Once they get so many stickers it's a day at the park, movies from the library, etc.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:39 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• You're very welcome!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 10:18 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Baconbits has given some great tips, which I intend to follow. I feel your pain. I'm sitting here wondering where to begin with the toy disaster in my own house. The main thing is, it's a small house, so a mess just makes it seem that much smaller.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Oh, the other thing--don't let anybody scare you with threats of Children's Services. They're too busy to care about a mess of toys or clutter. If your house is sanitary, if there's not old food or dead animals or a major maggot infestation, if you're feeding your kids and they've got beds to sleep in, clothes to wear, and are attending school, if their teeth aren't rotting out of their heads, Children's Services isn't going to bother dealing with you. I hate it when threats like that get thrown around at good parents.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Winterglow, I took some time to look over that site, read some of the articles, even book marked it. I really do love that site, I think it can help so much and I even wrote out a goal for myself to start working on today. Thank you so much for turning me onto that site. I think it's really going to help me to get my ass in gear lol.
    AnonNdrag

Comment by AnonNdrag (original poster) at 10:06 AM on Mar. 11, 2013