When it comes to government should the only thing we worship be the Constitution?

In January, Simon Brown, writing for Church and State magazine, outlined the six biggest threats that religion-before-state legislators will present this year. I think it’s time to take a look at how these are shaping up at the brink of the second quarter of the year; what’s been tried and what’s to come and then debate and discuss... PLEASE READ THIS ARTICLE BEFORE FIRST:  http://blog.alternet.org/belief/6-biggest-religious-right-threats-america

SCHOOL VOUCHERS

CREATIONISM IN SCIENCE CLASS

PRAYER AND PROSELYTIZING IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS

CONSCIENCE  EXEMPTIONS

STATE PRAYER CAUCUSES

ANTI-SHARIAH LAWS

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:19 AM on Mar. 11, 2013 in Religious Debate

• SCHOOL VOUCHERS: I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't think vouchers should be used to pay for private schools, but other public schools if your school is really underperforming. Maybe.

CREATIONISM IN SCIENCE CLASS: Evolution should be taught in science class. If you are in a private school that's up to the school. I went to a private religious school growing up and the we were taught evolution, but it didn't conflict with our religious teachings so both were discussed in religious class.

PRAYER AND PROSELYTIZING IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS: No because it makes people uncomfortable and that's not the goal of prayer.

CONSCIENCE EXEMPTIONS: This really depends, I can see were this can be abused but at times I think it's justified.

STATE PRAYER CAUCUSES I don't fully understand this one. If people choose to attend I guess I don't have a problem with it.

ANTI-SHARIAH LAWS: Ridicules, not an issue.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:50 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I don't think we should be required to worship anything.  I also think that the Constitution, fine a document as it is, also needs to be considered with a critical mind, remembering that the world had changed a great deal in the 250 or so years since it was drawn up.

I think one thing definitely needs to stand, though, and that is maintaining (or re-creating) a separation between church and state.  It is a dangerous thing to add elements of superstition to documents that are meant to offer protection of rights to all citizens.

I won't go into specifics with each category, but in general, they are all wrong.  All are violations of the Constitution.  None are necessary for the education of our children or the betterment of our nation.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:09 AM on Mar. 11, 2013

• School Vouchers- Defunding public schools to fund vouchers for religious based school institutions is WRONG and Dishonest

Creationism in Science Class- It's not science it does not belong in science class and it sets up students for failure

Etc etc etc. Let's just say religion has NO business being incorporated in Public school in any ways shape or form and we need to emphasize the importance of separation of church and state.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• ANTI-SHARIAH LAWS: Ridicules, not an issue.

How is it not an issue? They are proposed in multiple states, usually funded by the same people who write "news" articles about how all Muslims should be thrown out of the US (whether born here or not) and how the Middle East should be forcibly converted to Christianity. The fact that they make it far enough for a career politician to risk that career by putting them in writing is issue enough.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I think anti shariah laws are ridicules.   These laws are unnecessary.  State and federal laws supersede any other laws people make.  That's already the law.  I live near the largest Islamic population in the United States, and its not an issue here.  Shariah law wont hold up as a defense in court, if they brake federal or state laws.  If people want to follow additional laws on their own thats up to them.  We don't need another law.  

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• The point is they are an issue beside people keep writing them even though they are unconstitutional
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

``
    The point is I was giving my opinion on the proposed laws that were mentioned.  Just like the other people posted after me.  Why split hairs with me?

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2013