Is it ever too late to start reading more to children???

My son is almost 6 and I have to admit that I have not read to my son nearly as much as I wish I had... We read a bedtime story every night but I feel like it has not been enough... Is it too late to start reading more to have him 'catch up' to those who are read to all the time??? Sorry if I sound paranoid or something, guilty is probably more like it, but I try to do the best I can and feel like since I am a working mom and trying to just get by that reading has not been at the top of the list for us....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2013 in General Parenting

• No, I don't think it's too late at all! You read one page, then he reads one page.. this is how I've always read with my daughter and we both enjoy it.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• nope it isn't. I read 1-2 books every night to my children. I just started last year.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Maybe by the teen years, but I have an 11 year old that still loves to be read to.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I wouldn't consider it too late at all if you both enjoy it. You can still have some closeness, some good memories, and exposure to new worlds, new language, new ideas. There's been a lot out about how important ist is to read to your kids in the first three years, but that's by no means the end of the time reading will be beneficial.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• If you and your son enjoy reading together and you want to do more, it can only benefit you both.
    Do not feel guilty. We do the best we can.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:47 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• My 9 and 12 yr olds still love to be read too. It's never too late to start reading to them, and if he's struggling at all with reading, you reading to him can be a huge help.

My boys do their own, independent reading, but I still read to them at bedtime sometimes, and every school day (we homeschool), part of our day is me reading a chapter of a book to them - right now, we're reading "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea".
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:51 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• About the age of 6 I started reading bigger books to my boys. LIke the book, The Hatchet, or Julie of the Wolves, etc. Adventure stories that are a little longer, and I'd read a chapter a night. They loved it, and looked forward to hearing the big boy books...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Not too late. If they were adults and out of the household I'd say you missed your chance with it. But 6 is fine.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I say No. It is an enriching experience, particularly if you are reading books rich in language & content, rather than focusing on the "skill" of reading and limiting yourselves to books targeted for early readers, trying to "teach" him. Reading plenty of material that is above his reading level will bring the same kinds of benefits that those kids who were "read to all the time" enjoy, and it will support his overall literacy. I really think it's less about playing make-up or catch-up in order to "give him a leg up" than it is simply engaging meaningfully with him & sharing experiences together that are rich & nourishing. That's what's at the root of the benefits, anyway. (It's similar to how having dinner together correlates with many positive outcomes, but it's really about parent-child connection, which is a super-protective factor in outcomes. And family dinners are more typical/likely for well-connected parents & kids.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 2:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• never too late, i bet he'll love it
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2013