No, Mississippi! NOOOOOOO!

The governor is on the verge of signing a law that allows prayer (over the PA system, to captive students) to be led in public schools.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mississippi-set-to-reinstate-school-prayer

Mississippi set to reinstate school prayer

Prayer in school - back to the future?
Prayer in school - back to the future?
Credits:
addictinginfo.org

In Mississippi a controversial bill that would sanction prayer at public school events is on the desk of Republican Governor Phil Bryant. Despite the obvious constitutional concerns, Bryant is expected to sign the bill into law that would restore school prayer by allowing students to lead sectarian prayers before captive public school audiences.

Led by socially conservative Republicans, the Mississippi House voted 108-6 for final passage of the bill on Wednesday, March 6. The bill, Senate Bill 2633, is meant to guarantee religious freedom in Mississippi public schools, however, critics see it as a thinly veiled attempt to circumvent the separation of church and state embedded in the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

The bill would allow certain students, to be chosen by school administrators, to pray at football games, graduations and even during morning announcements. Critics point to the obvious problems with a process that allows school administrators to select which particular student will lead the prayer before captive public school children during morning announcements or before a basketball game or other sporting event.

Bear Atwood, interim director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Mississippi, points out that this bill would force students to listen to someone else's religious expression. Atwood says that's the same problem that led judges to strike down a previous Mississippi law allowing student-led prayer. According to Atwood:

"You're still using school resources and you're still holding other students as a captive audience - other students whose parents might be wishing them to learn religion in a different, a different religion, a different forum."

What do you think about Mississippi's attempt to reinstate school prayer? Should Mississippi Governor Bryant sign the controversial legislation into law? Leave a comment - express yourself.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 2:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2013 in Religious Debate

• banging head into wall

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• tell him to bring it on.

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• How many kids will be tortured until the courts overturn it?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• teehee. I went a little crazy with the ississississippi. Maybe I should go back and change that.
    jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

Who knows?

And, tnm, notice in the article that the school staff gets to pick which kids might deliver the prayer.  You know as well as I do that they will carefully select only the right brand of Christian.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 2:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I think it's unconstitutional.  I'm all for prayer in school, but that's why there are private schools.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• You know as well as I do that they will carefully select only the right brand of Christian.

I think a lot of people, intentionally or not, overlook that the less popular denoms will be just as victimized as the non-Christians. Life is going to become just as uncomfortable for all the Catholic, JW, 7th DA and other kids who aren't mainstream protestants.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I hope they're prepared fro the impending lawsuits which will follow. Especially considering it's unconstitutional and has been deemed so in SUPREME COURT already.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• All I can say is it's Mississippi. One of my oldest friends ( a non-practicing Jew) grew up in MS. I know it sucked ass for him.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:48 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Wow.
    I just have no words for such bullshit.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2013