my son, the bully?

my son is 2 1/2 yrs. he seems to play well with most kids. but with this one lil boy (who he is around the most) they fight all the time. and mean! pushing, biting, hitting, ect. i see it as a two way, but was told that my son was the bully. how can i prevent this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 AM on Feb. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• watch closely...When ds bullies stop him immediatly and give him a time out, then make him apologize.Kids are never too young to learn to say they are sorry kwim?If it is one kid only, try to wqatch to see what triggers it.Does he not like to share with him, makes him mad by wanting to play other games and other kid doesn't? etc...sometimes certain kids just do not get along, and if that is the case, direct him to kids he does enjoy instead of him being with someone he doesn't like.goodluck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:13 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• If hes playing well with other kids but can;t get along with this ONE child, then its not likely your son is the bully. Its likely he is feeling agitated at the other child and hes not going to take it. My son is the bully. He wants to play with other kids, but he wants it done his way. This is likely because hes the youngest of 4 and my older kids have a pecking order. He is the bottom tier...LOL So when hes around other kids, he does to them what his siblings do to him. I just have to monitor him very very closely. Don't avoid other kids, but use it as a teaching tool. He wont learn if hes not exposed. Also remember he is just 2. Social skills develop over time and he will get better. Don't let him play with other kids without an adult present to keep an eye on him and be willing to help teach him. If they are going to just punish him, then its not going to work.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:59 AM on Feb. 16, 2009

• i find watching closely also and redirecting with telling him, hands are not for hitting and teeth are not for biting. I have the same problem with my 21/2 year old and he will only pick on some children.
    fieldwood

Answer by fieldwood at 3:20 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• Personally I would do whatever it took to keep him away from that one.
    motherabc

Answer by motherabc at 10:55 AM on Feb. 26, 2009