That's so rude!

This is more of a JFF debate, but since we don't have a category for that.

Interesting Times article, including the comments section

You don't have to read it all, but it is interesting.  Author says that leaving a voice mail when someone doesn't answer instead of texting them is rude.  Asking questions that require a paragraph or more answer via text is rude.  Calling or texting someone to ask a question that can by answered by Google is rude.  Also, a commenter on the article says getting upset if someone doesn't respond to your text or vm immediately is passive aggressive.

Are those each horrible, rude behaviors, or is complaining about them selfish?  Where do you fall on "tech ettiquette"?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:58 PM on Mar. 11, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I think the author is a selfish idiot. So I guess that means I'm "rude". People still call by landlines. Not everyone has a cellphone and not all cells get reception everywhere. How does the author expect those people to "text". Frankly I think "texting" has become a main stream passive-aggressive and "rude" way to communicate.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• booooooooooooo
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I don't think it's wrong if you actually called, to leave a voice mail. I mean if you wanted to text, you'd text.
    I always ask long questions, oh well, I'm "rude".
    But, I do agree with the Google thing. I only want to be texted about things that actually pertain to me. Not random info.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:05 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• If this guy thinks he's so wonderful that in order to communicate with him, I should hang up and text him instead of just leaving a message, he's full of himself. Communication goes both ways.

He also misses that conversations can be about interaction, rather than information.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• If I call, I call. If you are not there I leave a message or I don't. You either answer or you don't

If I text, I text. If you answer you answer, if you on't , you don't.

The only time calling someone is rude (or texting), is if you know that they are in a situation where they can not accept your calls.
    For example, you know that your husband has a meeting every day from 8 until 11. Calling or texting during those times is rude.

It is rude to call or text someone's phone if you do not know them and are trying to solicity business or votes. Or during dinner or the normal sleeping hours , unless it is an emergency.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• First world problems, eh?! Kristi's correct, the author is an idiot.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• There are still some of us ot there in the world who don't text. What's so rude about leaving a voice mail?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:25 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• "Calling or texting someone to ask a question that can by answered by Google is rude."

LMAO... by that definition then aren't many of the questions here in Answers rude?!?!

The author is a selfish jackass!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Lame. I don't text. Ever. I have it blocked on my phone line. If I call and someone is not home, I will leave a voicemail. If this is offensive, the person can feel free to not call me back.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• So when my daughte calls or texts and asks how to cook a pot roast or or clean a stain. I should be annoyed and tell her or text her to google it. ROFLOL.

Partof that is communication and the comfort of hearing another human voice. I am not fond of texting or cell phones for that matter, though they have their uses. I think personal communication, voice and better yet site is important in forming the human connections we all need.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2013