Cable TV Alternatives

I am trying to find the right alternative to cable TV. Right now we have internet and cable combined for $60 per month. Internet alone with this company would be $69. I know it;s crazy. I can get internet alone through another company for $35.

We have an HDTV (not HD cable) with PC connection port, a PC and a laptop (with recharging cord issues). We do not have DVR services and I am going crazy without it. We also do not have a gaming system

We are not big movie watchers, maybe 1 or 2 on the weekend at most. The TV channels we watch most are ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, HIS, DISC, TLC (or DHC), HGTV (or DIY) sprout, disney, PBS, the weather channel and at least one or two news channels for DH. We want to be able to watch some things live and record others. Pause and rewind are also important to us. And I want to be able to use the computer while watching TV.

Some ideas I had were:

1- hooking the PC to the TV and streaming programs. But could I do other stuff on the PC at the same time?

2- running a usb from PC to laptop to charge laptop (my TomTom uses the computer to recharge, that is where I got this idea) and streaming from the lap top.

3 - Buying a digital converter box or Boxee type system

I'd love to get some input and ideas including pro/cons, start up costs and monthly fees.

Thanks,

Malena

Jerichos_Mommy

Asked by Jerichos_Mommy at 3:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2013 in Money & Work

• Cable is just pricey. My internet is more than yours combined with economy cable. NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX. We dumped cable for Netflix and Roku. We stream this way, it works for us.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• When you are streaming to your TV are you able to do something on the PC at the same time. IE: if I am streaming a show for the family fro PC to TV, can I do cafemom on PC at the same time?
    Jerichos_Mommy

Comment by Jerichos_Mommy (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I believe that if you are streaming from your computer to your TV, you can't do something else at the same time. My understanding is that basically what you're doing with that connection is putting what's on your screen up on the TV. I could be wrong, but from what I can tell, that's what happening.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:14 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• If you are streaming form the computer you can't do anything else with that particular computer while streaming. Anything you do n the screen will show up on the TV screen. If you are streaming through a Blu-Ray Player or other wifi ready device to the TV you can do internet things on the computer even if the internet is bing used for netflix. You have to have a good speed for netflix to run well. Dial up or 'lite' speeds are not going to work as well.

We have a tuner in our TV but never use it. all we do is netflix which we can run through our DVD player, Wii or TV since they are all wifi connectable.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Hulu, netflix, tv.com, pbs,com (which has many current episodes for FREE online).abc.com, etc etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• My hubs and I got rid of cable almost 2 yrs ago. We could not see paying all that $ and then there seeming to be 'nothing' on tv when we wanted to watch it. My hubs bought a Roku device, and hooked it up to our tv. It allows us to stream from Netflix, Hulu and Amazon (prime). Personally I like the streaming better than cable, it allows me to pick what shows I want to watch (and no commercials!!) and the cost is quite reasonable.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2013