The problems in our country today are due to having too few people who work for a living and too many who vote for a living.

Discuss this quote and have fun.

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 3:31 PM on Mar. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Thumbs up.

I think a lot of the problem is that we have career politicians now, who aren't going into the office with a heart for public service. They aren't voting their conscience; they're voting in ways that will further their climb up the ladder.

People spend a lot of time griping about those on public aid, but there's another trough that's filled much more richly and at greater expense. And Congress members don't want to see pay cuts for themselves because the cuts would diminish the dignity of their positions ...
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:36 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I think it's stupid and a cheap dig at those who may have fallen on hard times and are on welfare. Even with an unemployment rate of 7.7%. (Which is actually the LOWEST it has been since 2008). In fact our voter turnout percentage has always been LOWER than the Employment. Thus proving the saying incorrect as we have far more people working for a living than voting.
    Dare I ask what source you grabbed this little "quote" from?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Who said it? In what context? That's important.

Regardless, I've found that blanket statements made for the sole intent of providing a wicked, biting soundbite are generally not worthy of much consideration. Regardless of era.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:12 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• theres 2 ways to read it...

1 those who vote for a living are the politicians who vote in Congress as their job and are mostly idiots. so in that context i agree b/c they arent doing much to help those who want to work for a living but cant.

2 those who vote for a living are the ppl who vote for entitlement programs b/c they are poor. in this context i disagree. many ppl on welfare do work for a living but just dont make enough to live off of. and since this sounds like something youd hear today from a Repub, i just want to point out that statistically most ppl on welfare are white & live in a Red state...always found that interesting,
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:13 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• 1942

I don't think it was accurate then either. The Great Depression was ending and we were mobilizing for WW2. Heck Most women started working then...and the unemployment rate was 4.7% if anyone is wondering. (down from 14.6% 2 years prior)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• vote for a living? WTF does that even mean?

and what about the banksters and their fuckery? declining education and science literacy? pollution and resource management? outsourcing of jobs? static wages?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:22 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Well politicians don't get to be politicians without the general public VOTING them in. So yes I think this "quote", regardless of time in which it was posted was attacking the American population in general
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I can see how it would apply, as well as already knowing why others would disagree with me.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:38 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Then I will agree that it is pointing out a flaw in the entire population not just one segement.

Then we aren't agreeing because I have shown, for either the time in which it was "said" and applied to today that in either case the soundbite is WRONG and inaccurate. So the "flaw" is not with the entire population but with the quote itself
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• The problem is actually the lack of available self supporting jobs with HC benefits for the number of people who need to work. Add the need for many to work unit their mid to late 70s and it's no wonder our economy is in decline- Too few jobs for available workers= too little revenue.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:59 PM on Mar. 12, 2013