HMMM we have the right to make the choice ourselves? Even if it might be "bad for us? LINK WORKS NOW

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/judge-tosses-out-nycs-planned-ban-sugary-drinks-1C8809186

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 4:19 PM on Mar. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Oh my! How on earth are we as a society supposed to make the right decisions for ourselves?

I'm surprised it took this long for that kind of ruling. I guess there is a little common sense out there after all.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:40 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I agree that most of us could benefit from cutting back on sugar. But I don't believe our government was ever meant to make laws on what we should eat or drink, beyond regulating unsanitary practices.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:55 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• then what's the point of the drug war?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Oh boy. Now everyone can be adults and decide what they want to drink without their "parent" telling them they're not allowed to because they might get fat. Duh...I thought we all could make our own adult choices.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:41 PM on Mar. 12, 2013

• Bottom line is no really cares if you can make healthy decisions for yourself... Bottom line in this argument, like so many before it, is money. The Bottling companies, among others, do not want to lose the money they get from selling large sugary drinks. This whole battle is reminiscent of the tabacco's fight against putting various bans and taxes on nicotine. And according to be doctors, and nutrition experts, sugar is just as bad for you. Some doctors say it is the one thing they would eliminate from society to protect our health, and add years to our lifetimes. Do we need a law against it? I dont. I dont drink the stuff or anything with sugar, HFCS, or artificial sweeteners. But we do have an obesity epidemic that is flowing downwards to our kids, so something needs to happen.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• yeah Jon Stewart's been complaining about the drinks thing on air for a while now. it really was a stupid law and im glad it wont be going into effect. it wouldnt have made anyone healthier cause most ppl would just buy 2 drinks.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• This whole thing has been assine anyway. You cannot get sugar drink in restaurants and such, but then go and buy a 2 liter of sugar pop at the store and drink the whole thing in 1 sitting. Or go and see a movie, be forced to get a diet drink, then go and munch on candy, popcorn and the other sweet eats you find at a movie theater. Good god don't we have enough of other things we need to worry about first then our waist line??
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Link says it has been expired.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I wonder how this will affect the proposed ban on energy drinks here in Chicago.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 4:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Oh I do agree that the drink companies are eyeing the profit line.
    It would be nice if we retained or freedom to choose. I am not crazy about big brother deciding that smoking or drinking or sugar or whatever is bad and so I shouldn't be able to make a bad choice.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 5:00 PM on Mar. 11, 2013