Crawfish?

I'm curious, Panda. Did someone catch the crawfish for you or do you buy them in a store?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 5:17 PM on Mar. 11, 2013 in Food & Drink

• When they are in season I will buy them live by the lb from my fish monger and cook them myself. Crawfish boils are very common here. I will peel and freeze the leftovers to use in gumbo, étouffée, creoles, sauce piquants and even omlets. Season usually starts around here middle of January and runs thru April.

Off season I buy them peeled and frozen in 5 lb or 2 lb blocks. It's funny you mention catching them. We use to love getting a string and piece of bacon when we were little and sit in the yard catching them out of their mud holes. We never ate them, just played with them. My kids do that now too. I know when they catch one when you hear the little kids screaming as the bigger kids chase them with a crawfish. Fun fun!
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 5:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• I wish I could do crawfish. I think I would like them. I see them at the buffets around here and I really want to... but I can't get past having to pull them apart. I want someone else to do that part for me. I wonder what my hang up is...?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Btw, it's extremely important when buying them live that you purge them or they won't be edible. To purge you basically throw the live crawfish in a huge ice chest with a drain spout. Fill it up with water and tons of salt. Every 15 minutes you drain it and add water and salt again. Do this until the water runs clear. Usually takes 6 or so times.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 5:29 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• See I can peel shrimp and crack crab legs but pulling heads off makes my skin crawl. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• It's also called mudding them. Crawfish live in the mud( hence the name mudbugs) therefore they are full of it. The salt cleans them of the mud and other debris. If you don't purge them it's like eating grit.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 5:41 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• oh man...when we visit the inlaws they (and their neighbors) will do a big crawfish boil the first night we come down...best damn thing EVER! im horrible at eating them, but DH's a pro. he doesnt suck the heads tho, says thats for rural Louisianan-bred ppl & tourists haha. they buy them in bulk from a local fish monger type place...starts with a C...dang thats gonna bug me till i remember!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:26 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Lol! ! It takes practice. I love to sucks the heads. My kids do too. So much flavor in the heads. My 5 year old finally learned to peel them all by herself. Proud mom moment for sure! Her favorite part is pulling them apart. :)
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 5:32 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Your not alone, But Mommie. I grew up eating them so it doesn't phase me. My parents have pics of me eating them before I could even walk, so it's second nature to me. Give them a try sometime. You'll be surprised. No brains or guts come out. Just an empty head.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 5:43 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• The fastest and easy way to peel them is to pull off the head. Take the tail and peel back the first two rings. Put it in your mouth and gently squeeze the bottom of the tail. Suck and the meat comes right out without having to peel it all the way.

I love corn, taters and mushrooms cooked with them. The favors soak into them and it so tasty.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 6:52 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Pinch a tail, suck a head. I can't actually do it either. My mom's SO would pull them apart for me to eat the only time I ever ate them. I grew up eating fresh catfish instead of crawfish. We've always went to a local restaurant, called Craw Mama's, that serves them. There's always a big crawfish boil in Birmingham, AL every April...live music and all the crawfish you can eat.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:18 PM on Mar. 11, 2013