Atheist proselytizing?

Do you consider atheists on a religious debate forum, "proselytizing" to you when they discuss their beliefs?
Do they come knocking on your door at all?
I'm curious if anyone truly has been a "victim" of atheists doing this.

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 11, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I was deeply religious until that fateful day that I was accosted by atheists, threatened with no hell, and promised no heaven if I would renounce my belief in all the gods of the world, past and present.

They . . . *sniff* forced me to listen to reason . . . and made me repeat over and over, "There are no gods . . . there are no gods . . . "

It was quite traumatizing.  Eventually, I saw that they were right, and I became atheist, too.  I'm actually quite grateful, now, to those proselytizing atheists.

True story that never happened.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 7:53 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• there would be those who considered it proselytizing.

No, there would be people who would write the reasons why they disagree. Do you understand what "debate" means?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:34 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• So because Atheists will no longer shut up when others tell them to, it is proselytizing? Because Atheists have banded together and fund billboard messages it is proselytizing? And because a someone decides of their own free will to click a link posted by an atheist, the atheist is proselytizing?

What's next? An avatar with the letter "a" is now going to be considered proselytizing? Clearly this is another one of those words that needs to be added to what some "religious" people don't understand.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• The gay atheist doesn't like girl scout cookies? Blasphemy!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:37 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• In short it comes to "New Atheists" pushing their beliefs on everyone...sortof like this

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:23 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:30 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• That's just it, tnm.  I'll debate religion with anyone who's interested (and I assume that if a person is in this particular forum commenting on posts, that she's interested), but I'm not trying to make anyone drop their religion.  If they happen to reconsider some things that they took for granted with their beliefs, so be it, but I am not going point-by-point in an attempt to change minds.

Anyone who reads my threads will see questions, some better than others, some more abrasive than others, but they are still questions, or occasionally commentary on current religion-related events.  What I post is a far cry from the actual proselytizing that most of us are familiar with from our JW and other religion-pushing friends.

Anyone who sees "atheist proselytizing" in this section is a tad too sensitive and should probably choose another playground.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:20 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• Yes, please explain this bullying.

We are all dying to know how this happened.

Did a billboard knock you in the mud?  Did an atheist disagree with you? Did an atheist suggest that religion is unreasonable?  Was that bullying?  Was it proselytizing?  I'm confused, actually, about the topic of this discussion, now.  I do think, though, that we are working with different definitions of bullying and proselytizing.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:07 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• We are all dying to know how this happened.

Probably someone posted a news article about a law being broken that she didn't agree with, and then to top it off, nobody agreed with her when she accused the person who posted the article of being anti-Semetic for mentioning it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:09 PM on Mar. 11, 2013

• ive never had atheists come to my door. there is a new church being built a few blocks down and ive had plenty of jehovah witnesses at my door, twice this last week infact. you dont see me walking around door to door handing out evolution flyers.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 11, 2013